Very high CPU usage

It does appear to be the OpenGL rendering inside of JUCE that’s causing this issue, I wonder if Matt can use Metal rendering just for the macOS version? I appreciate it’ll be more work with two slightly different codebases for Mac & Windows then but it’s only going to continue being a big CPU problem for a lot of Mac users otherwise.

I don’t think it should be only fixed in macos, since a lot mackies writing they have also problems. This is a general problem for all OSes with different configurations.

I also think that it is a GPU 2 CPU related problem, but at the end “If nothing is running, nothing should run”. At the moment there are some tasks, that are running on high speed, even if they are not needed or used. Like you never put away your food from the gas pedal of your car, even you are waiting in front of a red traffic light.

here is a kvr link to post by urs heckmann in re CPU/graphics problems since mojave

1 Like

I can confirm similar poor performance. Twice as much CPU as an instance of U-he Diva. I’m using a decent laptop with GeForce GT730M, Intel Core i7-4710MQ, 16gb RAM, SSD.
Running KDE Neon based on Ubuntu 20.04

How are you measuring cpu usage?
Vital will probably use overall more CPU usage than Diva because of all the animated graphics, but the DSP usage should what diva normally gets.

Seems like a lot of CPU reports come from laptop users. Didn’t some people say early on that the Linux version defaults to 8X oversampling?

I don’t think Vital should use twice as much CPU as Diva especially when Diva is in Divine mode.

I’m using htop (top) to get an info how much resources a program or tasks are using.

In those screenshots I only started Vital and didn’t click something in Vital

Here in Powersave mode (AC pluged in)

And here Full power 4,5 GHz (AC pluged in)

Ah hmm that is a lot higher than it should be. Vital does use a lot of CPU than a lot of synths updating the graphics but it’s lower priority than the audio thread so shouldn’t interfere with processing. Will need to see why the graphics are using a whole core in this case though…

2 Likes

Just two Vital in Renoise !!! I don’t know much about it, but that’s not normal ?

Ubuntu mate 20.04 // 16GB memory // i5-6600K CPU @ 3.50GHz × 4 // GeForce GTX 750 Ti/PCIe/SSE2

1 Like

Hi Matt,
I was looking at the DSP load in Ubuntu Studio controls. After pressing 2-3 notes on my midi keyboard it would rise above 50% and i would get xruns. That is on 512 buffer with one instance of Vital in Bitwig and no other plugins.

My laptop is no beast but i can normally run Bitwig, 4 or 5 VST instruments, some VST effects and get by with a 256 buffer and no xruns… worst case scenario 512, but with Vital one instance is bringing it down.

If I can help you diagnose the issue let me know - if you would like me to take specific measurements or do any experiments I’m very happy to help

Hello - my htop looks exactly the same as yours when i run an instance of Vital in Bitwig… did you ever figure out a solution?

No, there is no solution yet. This is a bug and we have to wait until it is fixed.
I would love to use vital and make some tutorials, but currently it is not possible.

1 Like

yes! me too!

For the record this issue involves the Linux version. It’s quite possible to use Vital to make tutorials. Just check YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=vital+vst+tutorial

It’s very variable for me. I just launched FL Studio and added 10 instances of Vital with complex patches and it maxes out at 80% Fl Studio CPU meter usage, which equates to around 15% actual system CPU usage. Definitely usable.

Other times though a single instance of Vital with a simple bass patch will exceed that usage and be borderline unusable i.e. bounce–>delete is the only option.

I really hope this is something that can be fixed because Vital has lifted my game and I want to smash it on every track! :smiley:

Win 10 Pro, 2 x x5660@2.8ghz. 48gb Ram, Quadro K620, SSD, FL Studio 20.

Yes, thi seems r to be an issue with the Linux version

Sorry, that’s completely wrong.
If you read this thread and discord, you would have noticed this issue is as well on Mac and Windows. So please don’t spread spontaneous myths.

Even most of the people who made tutorials , didn’t tell about the CPU usage. So if you own a monster CPU and GPU you are fine. If you have a standard system and not fitting into a, not yet figured out optimal configuration, you have this problem.

So please read and research, before claiming some unproved myths. Thank you.

Same goes to you.

No problem with CPU on Windows here. Sure Vital can use some CPU when you push it but then the same can be said for most modern synths.

The majority of the complaints come from people who are trying to run a modern synth on legacy systems.

You said it’s not currently possible to make tutorials with Vital. Obviously that’s incorrect as witnessed by the numerous tutorial videos found on YouTube. It may not be possible for you but it is obviously possible. So please read and research, before claiming some unproved myths. Thank you.

The Distortion, EQ, Flanger, and Phaser effects seem very expensive when selected even if they are deactivated. Any of those sends the pool thread to 100%.