Exploring Vital 1.5.1 update (beta pre-release)

MacOS Monterey v 12.1

Ableton Live 11.1.1

I literally just upgraded to Ableton Live 11.1.1 from 11.0.x so I could try the M1 native Vital. So it’s possible that I installed Vital 1.5.1 before I updated Live from 11.0.x to 11.1.1 - I don’t remember what order I did that in. I don’t think that should matter, but I thought I’d mention it.

Happy to gather any other diagnostics for you. Thanks, Matt!

yes i am. Running smooth AF

Looks like it’s a problem on my end. Glad to hear it’s working for you!

Additional info: I looked in /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST, and the Vital.vst dated back to February. I moved the file and re-ran the latest beta installer, and it put a Vital.vst into that directory. Launched Live, and my old projects loaded up fine.

Maybe I ran the Vital installer while something had that vst file open, so it couldn’t replace the file? I don’t think I did that, but there’s no telling.

Hey Matt I Have OS 10.13.6 and I downloaded Vital 1.5.1 and it doesn’t work on logic pro x or the standalone version. Did you change the system requirement or is this a bug that will get fix thank you

Same for me !

I’m working on tracking down this mac issue that affects some mac computers. Supported systems haven’t changed but apparently I’m doing something wrong with the updates on mac.

Will post back here when I have a fix!

Hey Matt… Love the updates you’ve made so far. Ran into one small issue. Uninstalled Vital 1.0.7 to install 1.5.1 as vst2 didn’t work in Ableton Live 11 on macOS 10.15.7 … All works now after the new install, but I lost all my favorites. Not a big deal, but… and it made me look into the preset browser as well…

Any plans to updating the preset browser, like maybe being able to select more than one file at a time to add them to favorites or delete them. A keyboard shortcut for adding a preset to favorites would be nice too instead of mouse clicking every preset favorite star, and maybe the ability to move presets to a different folder within the browser.

These are just minor suggestions which I feel is the cherry on top of the already amazing awesome synth that Vital is, and a Huge thank you for your continuous effort and hard work to make Vital what it already is and will become.

Hello everyone, I hope asking in this thread gets the question where it should: How does patch compatibility go between the 1.5 beta and the you know, previous non-beta version? If I’m making patches for other people, and I just don’t use the extra spectralFX, would patches be functional in say, 1.07? Thank you very much.

1 Like

I’ve try, we get a message that preset can’t be loaded.

But does it apply to ALL presets or only to those making use of the new features?

Presets created in the later version won’t load in the previous version.

The general rule for the future is that only major version changes will stop forward compatibility. So eg version 1.5.1 can load presets from version 1.5.2 but not 1.6.1

Presets are always backward compatible.

6 Likes

I’m subscriber and only see 1.0.7, do I need to manually download and install to play with this?

Duh, never mind. I found it. Having a senior moment.

2 Likes

I just noticed that Pitch Bend and Spectral Morph knob automations seem to be assigned differently in the new version, so any project with those parameters automated isn’t able to load them anymore

yep, so it seems.
Also, maybe it’s me having a senior moment as someone else says, but I can’t find the macros in the automation menus in bitwig; not at all! and moving them around doesn’t, unlike with other parameters make an automation lane for those appear; midi control works fine, but there’s no way to see an automation lane, which is weird to say the least

found them… but they don’t really work, unless I use some midi ccs which obviously are a little less intuitive.

I made a mistake in the last build and the parameters weren’t shown to the DAW in the correct order. Some plugin formats/DAWs use the parameter order to remember the automation (e.g. instead of name) so it broke the automation for a bunch of parameters.

It’s fixed in the next build though.

3 Likes

today’s beta (same version #) works here in logic pro… progress!! thanks for this, happy to have new options (and more trippy visuals!)

1 Like

Here in my windows 10 21h1 build vital 1.5 version is more cpu intensive than the 1.0.7, it works fine and installs correctly, just (especially for the standalone version) more cpu intensive (5 to 10%). All drivers updated and gpu drivers correctly installed, huawei matebook machine

Thanks for the great work and instrument!