DAW crashes when opening Vital v1.5x (all versions): STILL NOT FIXED

Sorry, I don’t understand what is insulting and what should I report. I said that I tested every tip given on this forum, and none worked.
No, I did not find the support adress (I’m not smart enought!), and I thank you for your information. Normaly, this information should be obvious, so the client does not have to look after it.
I’ll mail to support@vital.audio (if it works), but I’m sure M Tytel is informed. Something is not very fair in it’s behaviour. Should I accept it? Should any client accept it? NO!

Ok let’s go back in time. What is a better non-strange question I could have asked?

Vital users are not interested in this.

What is important is that those who have bought the paid version may be concerned by the attitude of Mister Tytel, who seems to behave as if he was only offering a free product: no invoice for custommers, no support (the famous “prioritized support” seems to be a fiction, therefore a false advertisement, because this support cannot be limited to the users’ forum), refusal to deal with a problem which concerns only his one and only product…

Yes, this is a real problem.

As SlavaCat wrote : “It is strange that @Tytel hasn’t commented in this tread as prioritized support is part of the package.”

What would make you happy? Seems like you’re mad.

This is really insulting. But I take it from where it comes from : Garbage

wow! i thought i was sort of anonymous but you must know my real identity!

I use Reaper with an intel i5 Graphics 4600.
On Linux under WINE. And it should be impossible because of OpenGL requirements, but I hacked my system into thinking it had the proper version of OpenGl. That thread’s on this forum.

I had lots of problems getting it to work, on Linux! (!!!) , but I managed.
It seemed to matter most to me whether I was running as a separate, native or default process in Reaper.

sincerely,
L’Homme au Masque de Fer

I’m afraid I don’t agree with this statement. As I have said before other vst’s (e.g. Scaler) do appear to be affected. One of the common factors appears to be that the users have configuration that include OpenGL on Windows 10/11 and possibly older graphics cards.

The issue does appear to be intermittent in that it affects a small number of configurations, but not all, thus making it harder to identify the problem and solve.

For example I have a configuration that includes an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti graphics card on a Windows 10 HOME OS, and have no issues.

EDIT: I must emphasise that I and most users also have no issues running Scaler 2 on Windows. This issue does seem to be confined to a few users with OpenGL.

MERCI! It fixed it for me to

I have the same problem with HD4600 (crash DAW after add plugin on track). Versions 1.08 and below work fine. Please fix it.

I love your altitude so much man :sweat_smile:

I have the same problem with crashing and only 1.08 works.
Running 64bit windows 7 and 10 with Nvidia Geforce GTX 560 TI. T some point i will upgrade my system and buying a sh graphics card so i hope i don’t have the same problem again. Triad all fixes mentioned but to no avail.

Apparently, a day or so ago, I read on KVR that Steinberg’s contracted online site went offline and they may not have been honouring software purchases through it and, to boot, passed the buck to the contractor. Perhaps it will be resolved, eventually.

I don’t think I need to say much about the issues behind Massive X or its rollout?

One has to wonder if some threatened corporates send some shills to FLOSS places to harass its community and/or devs and/or deliberately cause problems to make the software look bad.

It’s possible.

And it does make me wonder, now that I think about it, what happened to Ronan Fed.

Anyway, since Vital is ostensibly FLOSS, and since it has a fork, failing an immediate red-carpet for Les Rois (translate: The Kings) from the dev(s) or community, one can always…

– Ask around-- politely/helpfully/humbly-- at Vitalium (Vital’s fork) about the issue (assuming it’s real and has to do with Vital).
– Find a coder/troubleshooter to find the apparent bug and maybe fix it if it is not the problem with some proprietary black-box product that Vital runs on/under. Last I looked, they have sites where one can contract a coder.
– Reinstall Vital.
– Rollback Vital to an earlier version.
– Do a proper maintenance, survey and research of your own system and look/ask around the sites of those responsible for those software.
– Understand and accept (‘Suck it up, buttercup.’) that reality doesn’t always operate the way you would like it to. Have fallbacks/alternatives in place for when that happens. Roll with the punches.
– And things like the above-- you know, remove your little boy/girl diapers and put on your big boy/girl shorts?
– Even consider taking the issue up with an AI like ChatGPT. I hear it’s pretty good with code and since Vital is open source, you never know. A longshot for now perhaps, but that could soon change.

– Pay through the nose for alternative proprietary software you can do less about and hope that you get a better deal and that it doesn’t go belly-up, taking its code and everything else along with it. And/Or make a tantrum if you don’t get your way, and maybe threaten to return to FLOSS/Vital.

Bonne chance ma cherie.

Addendum:

I have Vital’s most recent running, sans problem, on both my MacBook Air M1 and Yoga 7i Windows 11.

it would be great if vitalium got some love. it would be cool if the Usual Suspects who are working on SurgeXT would pick it up.

Vitalium might, but perhaps it is more of a symbiosis and/or hedge at this point where Vital is actively developed and maintained.
I mean, if Vital has a bug-- and what software doesn’t?-- perhaps the dev(s) at Vitalium might be able and willing to fix it so that, in part, Vital’s dev(s) can integrate the fix as well, so a mutual win-win exchange, along with happier end-users.
That’s just an educated guess or idea, mind you, about how something might or could work.

Matt-- and the global FLOSS communities in general, including the active end-users-- have given us their software, time, efforts and/or forum platforms, and it seems to behoove us to honour that. Alas, we realize that not everyone will. Sometimes they might just be especially young and/or feel an exaggerated sense of entitlement. What the hell…

At any rate, Matt, and others of those communities, seem to have every right to take harassment-free, guilt-trip-free and similar vacations and/or time-outs. Maybe like a good system reboot.

As for SurgeXT and Vital/Vitalium, they seem to be mature or stable enough, along with others like the recent Osirus (Motorola chip model of the Virus hardware synth), to get most if not all jobs done in the meantime.

Let’s face it; we’re spoiled, and sometimes some of us act too much like it.

It’s crazy but it did work… is it the gpu acceleration on the graphic card causing problems ? i have no idea but i disabled it and vital 1.5.5 works now. Couldn’t upgrade from 1.08 before

Windows 10 Pro
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core Processor 3.60 GHz
RAM 32,0 Go
GeForce GTX 550 ti

Merci pour le partage les gars, ça faisait des plombes que je n’arrivais pas a trouver de solution pour ce problème. Bon c’est pas le top mais au moins ça marche.

Could you please tell me how to disable GPU acceleration? I have a 560 TI.
Thanks

Vital 1.5.5 crashes for me seemingly at random. A bit hard to pin down exactly what causes it, but my three attempts so far of using Vital has ended with it freezing up and Ableton Live crashing. Been using Vital for a few years on my previous Mac setup but recently decided on going with a PC. A bit unsure if I used 1.5.5 when I was using it on a Mac, but I never had any crashes then.

Had my monitor connected to the integrated GPU initially and thought that could be what was causing it. But now I’m connected to the dedicated GPU (RTX 3070) and the crashes are unfortunately still happening.

Anyways, what is the best practice regarding working around this issue? I’ve seen some mentions of a Github fork, but is that also VST? Also read about downgrading to 1.0.8, is that the solution at this point?

EDIT: Installed 1.0.8 and it works a lot better. No crashes yet. Tried downgrading to 1.5.1 first but that was an even worse experience than 1.5.5 - crashed either immediately after opening Vital or a few seconds later when interacting with anything in the UI.

This is my experience, maybe it will help someone get a more stable session. I use work/personal laptops through a USB-connected port replicator to external monitors. When loading Vital into Ableton with the port replicator connected, it crashes the DAW. However, by disconnecting the USB to the port replicator, running Ableton then loading Vital into it, all on only the laptop screen, it works okay. Now, once that’s running, I can re-connect the USB and it stays stable on the external monitor. A bit of a faff, but it works for me.

1 Like

Good to know, great troubleshooting, maybe it might help some others with the same set up.