Vitality Meets The Wavetable Synth & Maybe Its Future?

As a potentially-serendipitous followup to my previous main post, perhaps this is telling me why I find wavetable synths I’ve tried and listened to somehow static, flat or lacking in some sort of vitality:

Wat? That guy in the video actually introduced a parameter called “maenderance” because he thinks the sound is to static…
Have you ever explored the different capabilities of Vital, or do you only skim through the factory presets of the free version only? There’s so many ways you can modulate stuff that using the term “static” makes you look stupid.
Another question is - what is the practical use in music? A actual piano is never doing any sort of terrain synthesize, yet it’s one of the prominent instruments throughout music in history and today. Don’t get me wrong. I’m attracted by the visuals of this terrain thingy as well. It’s the same with oscilloscope music by the way…

1 Like

The piano supports the point I made in my previous main point I referenced, though. I suggest that the piano has a ‘fluid terrain’ that is its entire acoustic context, such as WRT its body and its environment. In fact, there’s a lot of feedback, a lot of interplay going on as well.

Also it’s not just the ‘meanderance’ in the Terrain synth, but the terrain can also be animated apparently. Do Vital’s entire wavetables move like a terrain, or perhaps more accurately, a body of fluid, or perhaps even more accutrately, an artificial dynamic fluid that doesn’t exist in reality and somehow transcends it?

Now that I write this, as further development of Terrain-- and I might tell the dev myself about this-- it might be relatively trivial to impement an environment (since it’s more or less already there) that allows for impulse responses and animated 3D sound and whatnot, maybe even by end-user design.

I have yet to try either in any significant capacity, so I don’t know, but I’m sure each has many things to offer and who knows, Matt might even decide to 3D-ify Vital and maybe even plug an AI into it, like that text thing it already has, to help us craft some of our sounds ‘outside’ so that we have less to do ‘inside’…

Unsure where all this leads, but it’s the trip that can be half the fun.

Oh, by the way, I’m fine with asking the kinds of questions and making the kinds of comments that others can be afraid to precisely because they’re afraid to look stupid. LOL