Vital on M1 Mac?

With the help of this fork while using GPL mode of projucer,
I managed to build a working version of arm native VST3 Vital in Live 11.1

Performance looks 5-10% better on CPU meter in native mode running “Piano from the yard sale” Preset with a crowded midi track. Definitely some improvement compare to running in rosetta or AU version of the plugin running in native, but not much.

1 Like

VitalM1.pkg.zip (6.1 MB)
This is my build binary, source code is exactly the same from the fork shared by @buchenberger in this post.(Thank you for sharing the code)

For VST2 compatibility state part, I used the part from VST SDK 3.6.10, which is no longer available from steinberg but can be found here.

I hope this can help anyone who is in immediate need of VST3 arm native version of Vital.

5 Likes

Thanks for sharing this. If you find anything in the code that can be further improved, please feel free to issue a pull request. Unlike the “official” repo this one is for collaboration. When I get some time, I would love to strip all of that commercial BS out.

1 Like

Vital synth is undoubtedly a work of development art and kudos to the developer for tossing it up on GitHub. Luckily, I’m a developer and can make the changes needed to get a native build. However, If I weren’t I would be pretty pissed that the commercial entity that I purchased a license from just decided to stop supporting Mac users at version 1.0.7. I’m not a Mac fanboy but damned if my little $600 Mac Mini doesn’t run circles around my Windows machine with the latest Ryzen 7 and 32 Gb of RAM as far as audio goes. It’s really not that hard for the developer to just build an M1 native version. With some level of difficulty we can build it ourselves. So what exactly is the holdup? Asking for other Mac users that have been waiting patiently here for quite some time. New features is great and all but come on man. Do you need to borrow my computer or something?

2 Likes

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

2 Likes

I see why you might think there’s no development activity because I don’t push changes to the public repo. Maybe I should make a note of that on the public repo that I have a separate private repo where I push all development changes.

About M1 compatibility -
As you can probably tell I planned to have an M1 out by now. Life got in the way a bit and that hasn’t happened yet.

That said, I do have an M1 build out in early testers hands (along with the extra features). When it’s ready to send out I’ll make a post here.

6 Likes

I’m sorry to hear that you’ve had to deal with some personal stuff that got in the way of Vital’s development but I’m also glad to hear that you’re still working hard on the next Vital update!

Hi just wanted to add, I absolutely love Vital (after discovering it a couple of weeks ago in a debate about the Waldorf Iridium - blows that out of the water in terms of sound and interface IMO), so I bought the Pro version straight away. Im nervous now, as I have a Mac Studio about to arrive that I plan to run in Logic X optimised for M1 etc (my other plugs are now supported). I’m hooked on Vital now, and don’t want to run Rossetta just for one plugin. Please update your code ! Love your work on this but can I suggest you give users a estimated timeline so we can plan accordingly ?

Just wanted to chime in here that NVIDIASC’s shared VitalM1 package is working beautifully on my M1 Pro MacBook. I haven’t measured the precise performance improvements but the increase in speed is VERY noticeable. I can now see myself using Vital as my primary synth. Thanks for sharing NVIDIASC

1 Like

Is this a beta of a native m1 build not using rosetta ?

There’s a private beta that is native on M1 along with a few new features. When it’s ready I’m going to make it available to Pro users and subscribers.

1 Like

Very happy to hear this. Keep up the good work. You’ve got something quite magical here with this software.

Nice to see updates are coming. Will Vital’s free and plus users get the update too?

Yes of course, though I’m going to release it in stages

2 Likes

I’ve had struggles with apple silicon but found solutions to everything (until plugins are native ARM [Matt take your time, I’m a paid customer and love it]). Been using Vital for over a year with an M1 MacBook Air with Ableton Live 11. It always went smooth on 11. 11.1 is now native apple silicon.

Short answer: open Live 11.1 in Rosetta mode. See below.

I just want to share my solutions for anyone having similar struggles.

VST doesn’t work on M1, but AU does (any old projects or for vst it has to be opened in intel mode). Native apple silicon mode usually works fine, but sometimes the menu on vital is blank, which usually happens when I open the plugin screen while I’m playing music. So pausing and reopening the window works.

I have export issues sometimes with apple silicon. The way to get around it is to reopen the project in intel mode for the export. You open the same Live application but set it to open in Rosetta first. Navigate to your applications folder, right click the Ableton Live program and select Get Info. On the info window, check the ‘Open using Rosetta’ checkbox. When it’s checked, Ableton will open the intel version. All non-native plugins will work, and my export issues are solved.

Happy music making everyone.

I’m thrilled to hear this! I can’t wait!

Seriously? Your paying plus customers are not important enough or should upgrade to pro? Never buying another product from you again…

Not sure where the confusion is but as I said a couple posts back, everyone will get the upgrade for free.

Mac M1 users…

M1%20users

2 Likes

Being a little self-righteous, aren’t we? The reality is… 2/3 of the (much more expensive) plugins that I own still do not have native Apple silicon compatibility, so until the larger plugin companies with bigger dev teams manage to update their products to run natively, I can’t really be too upset that a one-man developer like Matt is still working on it. Seems like reasonable expectations to me.

If you “wanted to support the project”, you wouldn’t be bitching and threatening to “go back to Pigments” lmao.