The "Thank you, Matt Tytel" Thread

Matt,

I want to thank you for giving the young and poor the possibility to work with a state-of-the-art synth instead of dreaming about one day buying one of the $200+ synths. The release of Vital, and I’m not exaggerating, marks the beginning of a new decade of professional-level bedroom produced music!

When I first heard of Vital, I thought “cool, I use Helm, let’s see what comes next”, but I never expected that one guy alone would be able to program a synth that’s rivaling the big fishes with ease - and release it for free!

In the history of wavetable synths, there were exactly 3 key moments. The release of Wolfgang Palm’s original PPG Wave, Serum, and now Vital. There were many other wavetable synths inbetween, hardware and software, but none of them had as much impact on the music scene.

I hope you will receive lots of monetary thank you’s to compensate for the poor and young, who are “just” thankful!

Thank you.

8 Likes

Hi Matt,

Thank you. Vital is an amazing synth, Just incredible. I have made electronic music for 30 years and used countless pieces of hardware and software. I downloaded the free version and in 30 minutes I had a handle on it, the depth is incredible without being overwhelming, the interface is beautifully designed and the sounds…wow!

I immediately upgraded to Pro, your trust in the quality of your worth is justified and your generosity in giving a free edition is to those without resources is incredibly refreshing. The future is looking bright :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I am a hobby musician with too many soft synths and way too little time for making music. To make better use of the little time I have, I have lately drastically reduced the number of plugins I use - to reduce my choices! I have tried sooo many times in the past to focus on one single synth and make it my goto synth, but I have never managed to pick one among all my soft synths because they all have different strenghts.

So, when it comes to synths, my solution turned out to… get yet another one! :wink: Vital is versatile, easy to use, and sounds great - so I hearby declare it my goto synth!

I bought the Pro version, but that is still a low price for what you get! Thanks Matt!

2 Likes

Thanks Matt!

Tried Vital, loved it, just got the Pro license to support your work.

2 Likes

Thank you Matt,
this is really a great piece of work and it has a phenomenal amount of things you can do with it. It replaces some of the hardware synth I have on my GAS list, so that I now can focus on one last hardware synth I would need.

It actually makes my setup more complete than I ever could think of. Now with Prophet-10, Novation Summit, TherapSID and Deluge joint with Vital… There is more or less nothing open I miss. Now I can focus on getting the last thing … that would be a Waldorf Iridium. But even that has some time now …

So thanks for helping us out to get through this troublesome times.

For me it is the subscriber edition, because I continuously can support you on your further endeavours. Keep up the great work.

3 Likes

Thanks Matt

I became a subscriber last night - this is too good to be free :raised_hands: Supporting the cause to liberate music and create magic.

5 Likes

Thanks Matt,
Vital has been a great synth that has taught me so much about sound design, synth terms, and that making patches can be fun and not tedious and boring. Everything about the synth is inviting, even on somebody’s first time opening the synth. It’s a very easy synth to learn, and the visual feedback is extremely helpful, especially when it comes to deciphering what makes the sound go brrrrrr. And the fact that the core synth is free is such a powerful move, and it makes synthesis and sound design more accessible for people who might not be able to spend $200 on a soft synth.
Keep up the great work, I hope to see vital become more ubiquitous as time goes on.
-Horizon95

3 Likes

Hi Matt,
Thanks for creating this powerful synth, competes and high possibly beats most of the synths out there in the plugin industry and making it free.
It is very brave and virtuous move and people in almost all industry should take it as example. I really wish you to earn more by doing such praiseworthy job.
I ll be writing about the missing points I personally see in the synth and hopefully help making Vital even more powerful because I think you deserve it thank you.

2 Likes

I wanted to pop in here to add my thanks as well. I upgraded to plus today to express appreciation for opening up the world of sound design to me. I listened to your mr bill podcast episode and am blown away by both your knowledge and humility. What you’ve done here is legendary, and the world of electronic music will know it soon. You’re a genius and I hope that’s paying off, everything you’ve done feels like the moves of a grandmaster.

I only recently started my journey into the world of computer music. Only a couple months in… I’ve had vital sitting in my vst list since the initial binge of free VSTs. I remember opening it and scanning through the presets, thinking the 3d wavetables were pretty but not having any clue what anything was doing… so I set it aside. But… as I started watching videos seeing the top producers all using serum to get those incredible sounds, I had a moment where I was thinking that I may need to pony up the big bucks. Then I remembered that I had something that was like that kinda like 3d picture in serum. I started scanning through the instruments and refound vital. Fast forward a week later of binging all the vital videos I could find and diving into the world of sound design, A WHOLE NEW WORLD cue aladdin theme This wouldn’t have been possible without you Matt. I feel incredibly blessed to be starting my journey into producing with access to the tool needed to really design my own sounds from the beginning. Anyone with an ear that can understand (I come across a lot living and working at a venue) is going to hear about Vital.

2 Likes

Thank you very much Matt, you are a visonary, there are many, but very few manage to do their thing. You have embedded things I have long dreamed of. Focusing on this kind of workflow is the right way to go, without neglecting quality. I’ve Serum and already spent a lot on other plugins, far more. As a rule, I no longer tackle the free ones. With Vital it’s different, I actually prefer to use it than Serum! It’s improved in just the right places. Of course I’ve paid the full price with pleasure.

When I think that there is still no versatil free wavetable synth I can imagine how many people you have made happy.

Stunning work!

2 Likes

Thank you to everyone at Vital,

I’ve put my sound design on hold for a long time. As a long time user of Alchemy Synth (Camel Audio), Vital has actually helped me learn so much more about sound design and the structure of what goes on behind the hood. I’m excited to upgrade once I can afford it.

I wish you guys the best in your endeavors with Vital.

Seriously thanks guys.

2 Likes

I’d put off buying Vital until now, because, as a Bitwig user, I figured I don’t need any more synths. That said, as soon as I heard vital was going open source I bought a Pro license. We need more commercial Libre Software.

And boy was that a good purchase. I just love how cleeeeeeen everything sounds. I’ve only played around for a few days, but this might be a serious contender for “maybe Bitwig isn’t my main Linux-MPE synth after all”. Keep up the good work.

2 Likes

Love this thread, thank you Matt, we all appreciate your work immensly :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This is indeed an amazing-amazing synth! Thank you all very much!

2 Likes

Thanks, it’s great that this fun and fantastic synth was not only open-sourced, but also cross-platform. That is amazing.

:slight_smile:

1 Like

I also like to thank Matt Tytel for creating such an wonderful synth. One big aspect vital hones your sound designing skills with is the visualization of about everything you modulate. For me personally, Vital was the first synth were I started to modulate Phases and Amplitude of Oscillators using LFOs that take 0.001 sec in one circle to run. I now started to do the very exact thing on Zebra and Massive X and the sound I am now creating with those synth are now absolutely amazing, too. Next to Soothe 2 Vital was the best addition to my sound production site; I don’t miss those 70 EUR I spent on it not a single bit.

3 Likes

I like how easy it is to name the Macros. I’ve enjoyed the different titles I’ve seen in some the Presets.

Thanks for this synth. It’s good to bake with. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hmmm… Today is 4/20. Some baking with Vital may be happening right now! :dizzy_face:

3 Likes

This synth is simply insane. It’s a huge step towards very good open-source VSTs. The UI is perfect, the FX are sounding great… Many many thanks.

3 Likes

Loving Vital, utmost thanks Matt :purple_heart:

2 Likes