Hertz readout (inverse of Seconds), esp for LFO

It would be nice for the LFOs to also have a Hz readout instead of just time in seconds for the period. As a GUI feature, maybe a click on the Seconds to toggle and display the inverse?

11 Likes

Yes! For filter cutoff and LFO frequency, a hertz (Hz) option would be amazing!

+1
yes, please

1 Like

On the advanced tab, there is a display option (see below)

Setting this to Hz changes the display for the filter cutoff, but not for the LFO I believe.

2 Likes

…as far as i can see: yes

1 Like

Agreed!

@drew42 The filter cutoff, and all other audio frequencies (in reverb, EQ, etc etc) can be changed to Hertz mode by going into Advanced → Display Mode or something…
Sadly the LFOs don’t have this mode.

It’s inconvenient to invert the frequency we know we want from Hertz to seconds everytime. For small/easy values it’s okay, but gets complex otherwise.

Bump, cuz still no Hz in 1.5.3…

Look, it ain’t like the seconds display is totally unusable, but it’s so weird when you’re used to having LFOs in Hz everywhere else while Vital works the exact opposite way… Please, can we have this fixed?

Seconds is fine once you get the hang of the math, but coming from Ableton and Serum, a Hz display would be preferred for me as well so mini bump on the thread too lol

1 Like

i guess the issue is that LFO means low frequency oscillator so having it in HZ would make it a high frequency oscillator in most use cases, at least as i understand it. can you talk about some reasons how a high frequency LFO (oxymoron) in HZ can be more useful than the musical keytracked mode? in my experience, anything other than a simple LFO waveform would just sound like noise at the kind of rates that are measured in hertz in sizeable numbers, and to get a normal LFO in hz, you’d still be doing math probably in musical ratios or in some unit that’s already covered.

for that matter, an LFO might as well be used as an oscillator so should be routable straight to the audio ouput.

i’m not against adding a hz option to the dropdown menu.

I think the original thread was to request Hz for display of the LFO rate.
It would still be a normal LFO with Hz values, just like Serum, for example: 0.35 Hz, 0.7 Hz, or 4 Hz (which would be ~3.3s, 1.4s, and 250ms respectively)

It’s just more common to see the rate in Hz than in seconds depending where you come from, it would not effect the LFO itself or how it’s used
if you did crank it up it would become noise just like if you crank the time down

Edits: typos, it’s Monday guys

1 Like

i see, i guess i was mainly thinking that hz is a unit that is more useful in whole numbers (or at least greater than zero) and that if you need to go to decimal places then there’s probably a better unit. milliseconds to me is the same as hz because hz means per-second and ms is thousandths of a second so i thought it would be the same. (but i guess there’s some kind of weird inverted relationship that i’m not used to because i don’t have any software that uses hz for LFOs that i can think of right now.)

let me see, .5 hz would be 2 secnds i guess?

1 Like

@LarryHotbottoms Perfectly right, thank you! :smiley:

@reklamchef
To me it feels much natural to have the speed of LFOs (and alike) in Hz (or mHz if you insist), because a low value in Hz means a slow LFO, a higher number means a faster LFO. While on the other hand, when working with seconds, a high number means slow LFO while a low number means a fast LFO. That’s very confusing to my neuro-atypical brain, and I’m sure it’s not just me… :wink:

Edit: 0.5Hz = 2s sounds about right, that’s fairly easy. it gets much more complicated though when you’re not using even numbers anymore.

3 Likes

i think it ought to be simple enough to add the option and i wouldn’t mind. i’m not against it, but i don’t have any issues about the options that are already there. my issue would be that i suck at sound design.

1 Like

:laughing: lol!
I do agree, milliseconds is more precise and accurate, Hertz is a bit like imperial vs metric, if you come from Ableton and Serum (examples that come to mind) you’re just used to seeing Hertz on LFOs

No, if you come from any hardware-synth, you are used to think of LFOs in hertz, because oscillators have the range usually defined in hertz. Low Frequency Oscillator… So I definitely agree that for synth-nerds a hertz mode would feel more natural…:slight_smile:

1 Like

yes +1
because the “O” in LFO stands for oscillator and oscillators vibrate in vibrations mesured in Hz…

:wink:

Almost two years later, we have successfully summoned one of this threads’ OGs! :grin:

i wonder what the real speed limit of the LFOs are. it would be cool to use one as a (full range) ring modulator.

As a small addendum:

When working with LFOs I often use them to generate a modulation at a desired speed. Speed in musical terms is most often expressed in BPM (beats per minute). So 60BPM expressed one quarter (time signature) note per second.

Now in my head (since I work with hertz LFOs for 15+ years) this automatically converts to 1 HZ because I know hertz are oscillations per second… But I guess it is just as natural to just type in 1 second :slight_smile:

i guess 1/hz = hz expressed in seconds