Hertz readout (inverse of Seconds), esp for LFO

Yes I thought I saw a youtube video about using an LFO as a modulator for RM or FM maybe?

Apologies I forget, it was a while ago but seems like a Dash Glitch type tutorial.

quite simple in vital

for FM:
LFO > OSC pitch
LFO set to keytrack
adjust to taste

since there are several LFOs and ENVs to choose from, you can easily build
your own algorithms for a simple 4op FM synth this way

1 Like

what’s the maximum frequency of the LFO though?

It goes up to audio rate, as the oscillators.

true, but in seconds, the fastest frequency is .001 seconds which is 1khz and using the notes of the keyboard, the highest note is generally 4186khz, but if there was a hz control then what would be the maximum frequency that vital can handle? this is something probably only Tytel would know, that’s what I’m driving at.

It would probably remain the same, it’s would just be the display value changing, the behind-the-scenes coding or operation of the LFO would likely not change.

Just like in seconds vs in bpm values there’s just some math going on to display the value, the operation of the LFO remains the same, mins n max values remain the same.

Otherwise Matt would be creating three separate operations of LFOs under the hood for each displayed value, which makes no sense. There’s just one LFO doing its thing and some math showing us the numbers in the values we choose.

true, but what is the maximum frequency of the LFO just for reference?

That you could make it?
That’s an open question based on coding and some math I assume.

In most cases a basic LFO means oscillations usually under 20hz (50ms), say for your stock LFO tool.

Vital LFO goes from 0.001 s to 30s if I remember correctly? Sorry at work so no synth to open to check .
That would correspond to 1000 Hz to 0.033 Hz, keeping in mind Hz descend when time ascends.

Possible limit? With the info re: above slow would be probably 0.001 Hz if we keep or Sig figs matching - which would correspond to LFO taking 1000s (just under 17m) to complete. Fast limit we know is 0.001 s so 1000 Hz would be the “highest frequency” if it were audible.

If you wanted numbers above that 1000hz, you’re just asking an LFO to be a normal oscillator at that point, if that makes sense so just use a normal oscillator with no output mapped to your parameter.

Sorry for the ramble
Hope this answers your question I’m not sure if it does?

Since lfos can be driven by the keyboard as well, they go higher than 1000hz already. I think @reklamchef s question was what the coded in limit is. My guess would be that they are in the same processing loop as the oscillators and therefore should have the same theoretical range. But you would have to ask tytel or look at the code

Also just checked, LFOs go up to 128s (lmao i was way off) which would be 0.008 Hz

Also you mention the LFO being driven by the keyboard, did you mean key tracking? Because that would also still max out at the LFO top speed of 0.001 s? Unless I missed something

Actually highest midi note G9 is about 12500 Hz, but I never tried it… I will do some PM of an Oscillator and see how high it goes approx…

max value in key mode is 36, but it’s not clear to me what note that is. i presume it’s a c, but i don’t know what a value of 0 means in order to know what 36 means though.

but if LFOs are working at audio rates that go up to 20k, then I think LFOs themselves could just as well be used as crude oscillators direct to effects.

the more i look at it, the more i agree that it would be useful if there was a hz mode, but i assume there’s probably a good reason it’s not there.

that value is the offset or transpose, so 36 is three octaves above the pitch you play on the keyboard. so value 0 would be unisono with what you play.

1 Like

ah, of course. it’s a totally different mode than the static LFO types. different scope. understood.

but what if you want to set the LFO at the static rate of a given speed of say, 1200hz, how would that be done in vital as it currently exists?

according to this calculator-site

it should be
0.00083 seconds

or 0.00166 if you use a double triangle in the lfo window
etc…

or 1/desired value in hz

but, have you tried typing in 0.00083 or 0.00166 into the LFO value?

yes

a re-entering seems to indicate that the value has been accepted…but who knows…

well that’s good! i thought it was rounding to the third decimal place. need to tinker with it. do you think it’s best to use a macro control to fine/coarse tune (offset) that value?

hmm…: from what i see not lower then 0.00195312
seems to be the limit (in the seconds field…)

1 Like