Why I can't edit wavetables?

Tytel already gave you an explanation. The main problem is that it’s not clear what should happen when an audio file wave table that changes a lot over time is edited, since edits to one frame would cause a discontinuity in the way a particular harmonic changes over the course of the wave table. In your case, the wave table appears to be static, so it would make sense why you’re confused about the issue. However, audio file wave tables can be static AND dynamic, so obviously a new system of converting an audio file wave table into a wave source wave table would have to consider what happens in the static case AND what happens in the dynamic case. My solution, which only exports one frame, would solve this issue at the cost of not being able to export an ENTIRE audio file wave table to a wave source wave table, which wouldn’t be a problem in your case since it appears that you only need one static frame from your audio file wave source. (If I’ve somehow misunderstood and you DO need your wavetable to change over time, then my solution might still work since you could export different frames from the same audio file wave source and then place them wherever you want in your wave source wave table and blend between them however you want)

a plot of a math formula isn’t the same as a .wav unless it’s additively resynthesized and that requires a separate envelope for every harmonic. that’s not what Vital claims to do at all, so you’re getting frustrated for no reason.

1 Like

I can’t believe this thread is still going on. To do what is described would require Ai and should be a complementary plugin, not a feature of Vital. Part of the beauty of Vital is how clean and straight-forward the workflow design is compared to its sibling programs.

Studying the manual is a worthwhile investment in time. Get a cheap tablet and load it up on that for easy access without stealing valuable display space away from your DAW.

It is amazing how fast you gain insights while experimenting in Vital when you can quickly look the thing you are in without changing apps, call up a browser, switching to another display if you have a dual monitor setup.

This thread would have ended much longer ago, but after reading all the messages I thought it would be ok for me to share my own ideas as well. (hence my compromise solution above) My apologies.

2 Likes

To accomplish some of these things beyond the mission scope of Vital, I recently got my hands on a 50% off list price copy of Arturia’s _Efx Fragments.

Here is an Arturia video tutorial about it