Waveform change with pitch, preset reproduce

Hi all,

I am relatively new at Vital. I would like to reproduce this wonderful sound of old tube theremin, sound which rapidly changes its waveform with pitch, from buzzy low tones to warm higher tones, from shape to almost round. Do you have any idea how this could be done? I also tried Micromusic.tech to reproduce harmonic content and loaded this record, but it was not similar at all, even in one octave. Is somebody here able to help me to reproduce this beautiful sound? Later I would like to use it like a preset with my instrument.

Thank you very much
Martin

Link for played scale:
(Minute 20:30) https://youtu.be/mrBZ8FJyutw?si=BcOxiMFO8o7d2NsB

I tried this just for the fun of it. It’s a problem that Vital tends to be a bit clickey with monophonic clean sounds, I believe it comes from the envelope modulation transitioning from release back to attack phase when the notes don’t overlap.

Edit: also, there’s no way I know of to stop random LFOs from retriggering on noteon event, which can also cause clicks when using those to humansize your patch.

I believe for this kind of a sound design work Phase Plant would serve you better.

1 Like

Okay I got the clicking under control, I think it was about some modulation reacting to note input that wasn’t smoothed by glide setting, dunno really. So I made an experiment and played some random notes for ya.Theremin is such an overhyped but still interesting thing. The recording you shared transforms from resembling a bowed instrument at the lo registers through some vocal qualities to a nearly pure sine. So I tried to make something like that.

1 Like

Oh, and how to do this? Open the waveform editor, clear all the sources. Make a new wave source with two keyframes, one for the low end, one for the high end. Then, have a look at the waveform of the low end of the reference sound, loop it and route it to a spectrum analyzer. Adjust the partials to match the spectrum you’re seeing in the first keyframe by layering the reference and Vital’s output on top of each other. You can do this f.ex. with Signalizer by routing the outputs to left and right channels. It doesn’t need to be the exact same one, as long as it sounds similar and the general shape of the waveform agrees and the spectrum roughly with the reference. Then, do the same for the other keyframe in the high end of the reference scale. Choose a blend mode of your liking.

Attach the note modulator to the wavetable position of that osc with full modulation. Play the lowest note that you want to get the low end waveform. Make a up ramp in the remap starting from that lowest note you’re playing that you can see there, I used C2. Do the same for the highest note, I used C5. Adjust the shape of the remap curve to your liking.

Then, you can further fine tune the tone with a very slight FM that has aux modulation from the note mod, remapped so that the high notes get very little or no modulation at all, and the low notes get maximum of that very small FM amount. That can give you that extra buzz for the low end. Remap like the wave frame modulation.

Tune fruther to taste.

1 Like