Vital not working on muh Reaper Linux via Manjaro

Vital on Windows 7 was fine, Vital on Wine on Manjaro is fine (after changing the OpenGL version String)

However, for the past week or two I have tried every day to get Vital Vst3i Linux, Vital Lv2i, and Vital.so (Vsti) to work in Reaper-Linux.

If I use the VST3i or the LV2i, Initiation of the plugin takes quite a pregnant pause. After loading, and after some rather short amount of time Reaper will become unresponsive. Rescaling the plugin will cause a crash, closing a floating window may cause a crash.

one odd thing though, Vital-windows wonā€™t work via Yabridge in Reaper-Linux but it works in WINE, so maybe itā€™s due to the linux version of Reaper.

The other .so file in the Linux installer (non debian) I assume is a VSTi (vst2) scans but is not admitted into the list of available plugins in Reaper-Linux.

My graphics processor info:

Graphics:
Device-1: Intel Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics
vendor: Micro-Star MSI driver: i915 v: kernel bus-ID: 00:02.0
chip-ID: 8086:0412 class-ID: 0300
Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.13 compositor: kwin_x11 driver:
loaded: modesetting unloaded: vesa alternate: fbdev display-ID: :0
screens: 1
Screen-1: 0 s-res: 3600x1200 s-dpi: 96 s-size: 952x317mm (37.5x12.5")
s-diag: 1003mm (39.5")
Monitor-1: VGA-1 res: 1680x1050 hz: 60 dpi: 99 size: 433x271mm (17.0x10.7")
diag: 511mm (20.1")
Monitor-2: HDMI-1 res: 1920x1200 hz: 60 dpi: 94 size: 519x324mm (20.4x12.8")
diag: 612mm (24.1")
OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 4600 (HSW GT2)
v: 4.5 Mesa 21.2.3 direct render: Yes

Iā€™ll come back with some log info if that would be helpful. Surge L2Vi has also behaved similarly so I donā€™t think this is all Vitalā€™s fault, but it seems that thereā€™s some truth to the reports that some users on Linux are having issues with Vital.

hereā€™s some logs, taken while using Vital Linux VST3i 1.06, 1.07 and 1.08 in Reaper-Linux 637 or 636:

X Error of failed request: BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window parameter)
Major opcode of failed request: 14 (X_GetGeometry)
Resource id in failed request: 0x5000098
Serial number of failed request: 18537
Current serial number in output stream: 18537

libGL error: failed to create drawable
libGL error: failed to create drawable
X Error of failed request: GLXBadContext
Major opcode of failed request: 152 (GLX)
Minor opcode of failed request: 5 (X_GLXMakeCurrent)
Serial number of failed request: 165
Current serial number in output stream: 170
X Error of failed request: BadImplementation (server does not implement operation)
Major opcode of failed request: 20 (X_GetProperty)
Serial number of failed request: 170
Current serial number in output stream: 170
free(): invalid pointer

reaper_host_x86_64: xcb_in.c:746: xcb_request_check: Assertion `!replyā€™ failed.
Xlib: request 20 length 24 would exceed buffer size.
corrupted size vs. prev_size

These are the typical sort of errors Iā€™m seeing when using only Vital VST3i Linux in Reaper Linux. Could be my system, could be Reaperā€™s fault, could be Vital, could be user error. But Reaper is freezing and ā€œterminate plugin now?ā€ dialogue is coming up sometimes, other times hard crash.

Hi.

I post this issue many weeks ago and nothing changed (and probably it will not change in future). In my case Vital work only if there is 1 track in Reaper. If I load another, then it crashes. Slowly Iā€™m thinking about buying another synth - maybe Zebra or TAL Mod, which demo versions have no issues in every version of native Reaper Iā€™ve tested. It is ridiculous to use Vital through Wine if we can work in native Reaper.

Best

1 Like

super edit: try this if you have a problem running vital in Reaperā€¦

in reaper-linux, run vital as ā€œNative Only - No Bridgingā€ by right clicking the plugin in the plugin browser.

Vitalā€™s been crashing reaper like crazy until this.

Yeah, Linux distros and DAWs are kind of a lost cause. And the universe knows I tried hard. I capitulated and bent over for windows. My producer life is better since. In the end itā€™s a matter of taking the blue pill vs dying from ā€˜bug vortexā€™ induced seizure.

1 Like

administrating a linux pc is a full time hobby in of itself! if I wasnā€™t such a deadbeat with all the time in the world to kill i wouldnā€™t have time to have set up my workstation every day for 6 weeks. :slight_smile:

1 Like