Vital makes Reaper crash

Two monitors?

No. Only one screen. 4K

Thanks for the info, couple more questions though.

Does the standalone Vital app work?
Do you have any midi controllers plugged in?

Yes. There is a white screen 1 second then the UI.
I have a master keyboard connected with USB.

Vital VST3 crashes Reaper for me too. It is very easy to produce:
Start Reaper, add new track with virtual instrument, select Vital
After Vital, I add FX, for example ReaDelay.
Then I click between Vital and ReaDelay a couple of times (the GUIs for each shows), and boom Reaper disappears (when clicking away from Vital). Output:

$ ./reaper
!! killing thread by force !!
FATAL: exception not rethrown
Aborted (core dumped)

Have not been able to enable actual core dumping, not with apport or ulimit -c

Ubuntu Studio 20.04
Vital 1.0.7
Reaper 6.25

This sounds very much like the crash I reported here:

Funny, looks like it crashes trying to download something?

Any news on this? I sometimes get the “killing thread by force” error, but more often Reaper just freezes and I have to manually kill the process. This actually happens quite often as well and it’s making Vital unusable for me. Sometimes a project won’t even load because I had a Vital window open when saving. I’m running Manjaro Linux kernel 5.14.10-1, Reaper v6.37, Vital v1.0.8 VST3. The LV2 seems a bit more stable but that has some graphical issues when reopening the plugin after adding it.

how did you get that log info? I’ve been running Reaper (Linux) using the following command that I got from Robbert from Yabridge:

rm -f /tmp/reaper.log; /opt/REAPER/reaper >/tmp/reaper.log 2>&1

is there a way to get a more verbose log from Reaper?

do you run Vital as a separate process, dedicated, or native only?

because it appears as though I have fixed my problem with Vital running in Reaper-Linux by selecting “native only - prevent bridging” it’s no longer instantly crashing reaper, this is very promising!

Sadly that didn’t help, still crashing. The other options didn’t work at all so I assume Reaper was already defaulting to that anyway. BTW you should have clarified where that option is found, but for anyone else it’s accessible by right-clicking on the desired plugin in the “Add FX” window and going to “Run as”.

i thought I did, because after weeks of having issues and suddenly clearing it up in my particular case, i was so busy shouting it from the rooftops that i overlooked this one time.

I do think it is a graphical related problem. also the LV2 didn’t work at all during my ‘crash tests’ but i’m now curious to see if it does work with the “Run As Native” mode enabled. I’ve been with Reaper since 2007 so the “run as” plugin trick is a forest for the trees thing for me, I assumed everyone knew it and now it is i who have mud in my face.

I just tried Vital L2Vi and it crashes my Reaper Linux quickly, and there’s no “run as” option for it LV2 stuff as far as I know.

what’s your output of:

glxinfo | grep OpenGL

Not sure if it will help but here you go:

OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL renderer string: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660/PCIe/SSE2
OpenGL core profile version string: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 470.63.01
OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 4.60 NVIDIA
OpenGL core profile context flags: (none)
OpenGL core profile profile mask: core profile
OpenGL core profile extensions:
OpenGL version string: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 470.63.01
OpenGL shading language version string: 4.60 NVIDIA
OpenGL context flags: (none)
OpenGL profile mask: (none)
OpenGL extensions:
OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 3.2 NVIDIA 470.63.01
OpenGL ES profile shading language version string: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 3.20
OpenGL ES profile extensions:
1 Like

could you try executing Reaper by command line using this and just open an instance of Vital VST3i and when Reaper crashes, go to /tmp/reaper.log and post the output?
I don’t know where I’m going with this stuff but logs and graphical information should be useful to Tytel in a perfect world.

This is all I get, same as running from terminal.

jack: created client
jack: setting TIME_CRITICAL = 4
LC_NUMERIC / LANG is set to 'en_GB.UTF-8', overriding LC_NUMERIC environment to POSIX
jack: activated client

What is the log output if you change the sound engine to ALSA in Reaper, close Reaper, and use the logging command again to test Vital?

Doesn’t look like anything is different…

LC_NUMERIC / LANG is set to 'en_GB.UTF-8', overriding LC_NUMERIC environment to POSIX
ALSA: using mmap interleaved
ALSA: using mmap interleaved

Are you using the proprietary or open source driver for your GTX 1660? I wonder if you would benefit by trying a different driver. Don’t know your Linux experience level but for my own safety I’d suggest to ask at your favorite Linux forum about the risks/benefits of changing display drivers, and repeat the process of logging Reaper as you test Vital. As I understand, there’s issues between Linux and Nvidia.

It’s a long shot, but do you use Yabridge? maybe you could try the windows dll version of Vital using that to see if it can run.

Yes and yes, I use the proprietary drivers and yabridge. I could probably test nouveau, but not right now. Even if that could fix the issue, it won’t be a good solution as it is highly recommended to stick with the proprietary drivers for a number of reasons. I’m not giving up a major chunk of performance for this one plugin. I will also try the Windows version with yabridge tomorrow.

1 Like

I had another idea, what about trying a live distro of your operating system on USB and see if reaper runs in one, and if so, would vital function properly? the purpose would be to determine if it’s a hardware conflict or a settings one.

I realize it can reach a point where it feels like a waste of time, but I remain curious what could be the impediment to Vital working on your Linux setup.

Especially curious are the lack of any useful log messages before Reaper gives up the ghost.

1 Like