Vital makes Reaper crash

When i open Vital in Reaper, if my Komplete Kontrol A25 Midi controller is connected, Reaper just freezes and won’t respond anymore.
Windos 10, Vital 1.0.5

Can you try updating to 1.0.7 and see if that’s still a problem?

Vital started to Crash Ableton Live after latest update. Works fine on PC but in Catalina it makes Ableton to freeze.

All the tracks with Vital play nornally, but If i Open the GUI Ableton freezes.

Does the standalone open?

Didn’t even know there was standalone version…but yes it works fine.
If i open fresh ableton project and add Vital it works. But tracks that i have already started with previous version of Vital seems to crash Ableton. But ableton 10 is not the most stable DAW anyways.

Would also be curious if the standalone works for you

If you could share the Reaper project with me that might help me track this issue down.

Just updated to 1.0.7 and everything is working just fine. Thanks for such amazing synth by the way!

3 Likes

Issue with 1.7 and Reaper. When I load the plug, the UI remains blank.

On linux?

Windows 10.

Two monitors?

No. Only one screen. 4K

Thanks for the info, couple more questions though.

Does the standalone Vital app work?
Do you have any midi controllers plugged in?

Yes. There is a white screen 1 second then the UI.
I have a master keyboard connected with USB.

Vital VST3 crashes Reaper for me too. It is very easy to produce:
Start Reaper, add new track with virtual instrument, select Vital
After Vital, I add FX, for example ReaDelay.
Then I click between Vital and ReaDelay a couple of times (the GUIs for each shows), and boom Reaper disappears (when clicking away from Vital). Output:

$ ./reaper
!! killing thread by force !!
FATAL: exception not rethrown
Aborted (core dumped)

Have not been able to enable actual core dumping, not with apport or ulimit -c

Ubuntu Studio 20.04
Vital 1.0.7
Reaper 6.25

This sounds very much like the crash I reported here:

Funny, looks like it crashes trying to download something?

Any news on this? I sometimes get the “killing thread by force” error, but more often Reaper just freezes and I have to manually kill the process. This actually happens quite often as well and it’s making Vital unusable for me. Sometimes a project won’t even load because I had a Vital window open when saving. I’m running Manjaro Linux kernel 5.14.10-1, Reaper v6.37, Vital v1.0.8 VST3. The LV2 seems a bit more stable but that has some graphical issues when reopening the plugin after adding it.

how did you get that log info? I’ve been running Reaper (Linux) using the following command that I got from Robbert from Yabridge:

rm -f /tmp/reaper.log; /opt/REAPER/reaper >/tmp/reaper.log 2>&1

is there a way to get a more verbose log from Reaper?