Vital crashing while loading preset

I exported a custom preset from Vital on my PC, but when I try to load it on my laptop, the program crashes, regardless of whether I run Vital from within Reaper or as a standalone app.

Crash log:

3: UnhandledExceptionFilter + 0x1ea
4: memset + 0x1b32
5: _C_specific_handler + 0x96
6: _chkstk + 0x11f
7: RtlRaiseException + 0x399
8: KiUserExceptionDispatcher + 0x2e
23: beginthreadex + 0x142
24: BaseThreadInitThunk + 0x14
25: RtlUserThreadStart + 0x21

I rebuilt the preset manually, and while doing so, I noticed the graphic for the velocity impact ratio is different; it’s possible the crash has something to do with a version mismatch between my PC and the laptop (PC is running an older version of Vital).

Depends on the versions of both.

1.5.x presets are not compatible with 1.0.x

In the 1.0.x versions, some presets may not work on older versions. (1.0.4 I think changed presets so they won’t work with older versions.

Make sure both PC and laptop have the same version of vital.

1 Like

That’s probably the issue; looks like the PC is running 1.0.7, while the laptop is running 1.5.5.

I don’t know if it’s possible, but perhaps the crash log and/or the program itself should give some kind of warning about importing a preset from an older version of Vital, instead of just crashing? I guess the question is whether the preset export even contains that info.

Edit: I just checked, and the version info is definitely there.

That’s odd. Older versioned presets should be ok on newer version of vital. The issue would be trying to use newer versioned presets on older versions of vital. A warning/error does appear when you try this.

I’ve had the exact same problem, on my Dell laptop, Win 10. I tried both versions. On v 1, if I load a preset, comes back with “error loading preset . . . corrupted file”.
Completely uninstall everything, start over with v 1.5, if I load a preset, simply crashes the program completely. Have tried multiple times, uninstall / reinstall, restart, etc.
On my other Dell (desktop) Win 10, works perfectly, no troubles at all.
Help???

Any info offered is very much appreciated.

I like Vital, but it’s unusable on my laptop