Vital crashes Ableton Live 11 (Windows 10)

Love the synth! But there are several projects containing Vital that worked fine in Live 10, but as soon as I started working in Live 11 they started to crash. I suspect Vital is the problem because Live 11 tends to crash every time I try to close Vital. Also, the WIP projects could crash even if I do absolutely NOTHING. No audio played, no Vital UI opened, and the project crashes within around a minute or so.

System: Windows 10
CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60GHz
Memory: 32GB
Bit: 64

there were a couple of problems reported (not with live but other daws) that were solved by removing the vst3 and using the vst2 instead. since live11 has vst3 support, maybe try that? simply move the vital vst3 out of your plugins folder for the moment and try again.
also, what version of vital are you on? and the graphics card could be a crucial point as well…

It’s the latest version of Vital, 1.0.7. The graphics card is NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER
Also I’ll try using vst2!

This… Seems weird to me. Like there’s not much vital does if it’s not open and not playing audio. Can you send me the crash log?

Ableton Crash Report 2021-02-26 203500 Live 11.0.zip (4.4 MB)
I just opened a brand new project and load the Vital in. This time I clicked something (detune knob) in Vital and it crashed instantly.
Also Vital never crashed in Live 10, so it could also be something in Live 11? A really strange crash there.

weird…no issues with the latest Vital (VST2 and VST3) in Ableton 11 (latest) (Windows 10, latest)

If you logout of Vital (in the hamburger menu) and click “Work Offline” on the login screen, does it stop crashing on new projects after that?
Just want to double check there aren’t some weird firewall things causing the crash.

I have done it and tested extensively and, yes it seems to solve the problem, I’ll tell you if another crash happens!

Great thanks that helps track it down a bunch.

No problem!

Same problem here.
After making a project using Vital VST3 plugin, Ableton 11 crashes when I reopen the project.
When I remove the vital.vst3 file from the “common files” directory, the file opens again.
After that, I’ve tried to use the VST2 version but unfortunately, I have the same result there…
<<< Ableton crashes >>>
The “work offline” suggestion does also not solve the problem.
So currently, I cannot use VITAL Pro anymore with Ableton 11. :frowning:

Strange enough, when opening a complete new project, I can create a midi track with the vital plugin
so there must be something going wrong while saving and reopening project files.

*** ADDITIONAL INFO ***
My saved project contained 4 instances of Vital (4 tracks).
After I have disabled the Vital plugin, I can open my project.
Next I delete 2 tracks and save the project.
I re-enable the Vital plugin again and the project loads again.
So to replicate, make a project with enough Vital instances and it crashes.

Please advise.

Hmm could be a different issue. Is it possible to share the project with me? Could help track down the issue.

[VitalBUG project and Ableton crash report]
Sorry for the small delay. I had to strip down my project.
I’m using the Vital 1.0.8 VST3 with Ableton Live 11 Suite 11.0.1.
Files were too big to upload here.
(https://wetransfer.com/downloads/41469a211a0e15ba2ada32004fbd7a7720210328212248/393ec921557093de599b9591bedd0b5b20210328212304/5b745a)

Alright I just downloaded and opened it in Live 11 and it loads fine for me.
Ableton still crashes for you with this trimmed down version right?

Also want to confirm that the project crashes for you on loading, not when you open one of the Vital instances. (Side question, it doesn’t automatically open one of the plugin windows right?)

EDIT: Another question - do you have any MIDI controllers plugged in? If so could you try disconnecting them before starting the project?

Yes, the crash report is generated when opening the trimmed down version. It crashes directly when opening the project. No input midi controllers are attached, only my headphone as an audio out device.
The question is why it is working with 2 vital instances and not with 4 tracks. I have taken a procmon trace but cant figure out why the ableton process terminates…

It seems that the “Max for live” plugin from Ableton can’t handle the number of preset loads generated by the Vital plugin. I have about 1900 presets in the Vital preset directory. :upside_down_face:

Faulting application name: Ableton Live 11 Suite.exe, version: 1.0.0.1, time stamp: 0x604ba91e
Faulting module name: MaxPlug.DLL, version: 8.1.9.5549, time stamp: 0x60132aa4
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000009b049e
Faulting process ID: 0x12dc
Faulting application start time: 0x01d724dcd6339640
Faulting application path: C:\ProgramData\Ableton\Live 11 Suite\Program\Ableton Live 11 Suite.exe
Faulting module path: C:\ProgramData\Ableton\Live 11 Suite\Resources\Max\resources\support\MaxPlug.DLL
Report ID: 3ce3be7d-9a07-414e-bd79-3cf2a8c90f86

Hopefully this is giving you more insight Matt.

Wow hmm. that… is really strange.
What exactly are you doing with max 4 live?

I’m really struggling to understand how this could happen. Vital shouldn’t know anything about the presets if the window isn’t open, let alone create a new process for every preset.

This is definitely very wrong though so thanks for tracking this down.

Max for Live (https://cycling74.com) instruments, audio and midi effects are coming together with Albleton Live 11 suite. When Ableton is starting, you will see that Max for Live is starting. The more plugins/presets are present on the hard drive, the longer it takes to start Max for Live.
To understand what it exactly does, you should get in contact with the Ableton / Max for Live developers.
Thank you for looking into this in detail.

I had exactly the same issue, Ableton crashing when closing Vital. I found that in my case, it was related to internet connectivity. I am currently in Asia -> when I turn VPN on the crashes stopped.