Various suggestions for vital

I have quite a few suggestions for vital, so I’m going to divide them up accordingly:

• small features would be simple quality of life changes
  • medium features would be relatively simple features but would take a lot longer
  • large features would be features that would most likely have to come at extra cost because of the amount of work required. (Fortunately, I only have one large suggestion)
    Small:
  • “Enter value” for lfo points, points in the wavetable line source editor, and harmonics in the wavetable wave source editor (For “enter value” for harmonics, I would like to be able to enter not only the amplitude and phase, but also the partial number. For example, I could right click on the first partial to enter the value(s) for amplitude and phase, but I could also change the partial number to 3 in case I wanted to change the 3rd partial without right clicking on that partial specifically. This system would allow a user to quickly modify partials in a very specific way without always having to scroll to whichever partial he/she wanted to edit)
  • option to see the harmonic numbers in the wavetable wave source editor (also, an option to zoom in anywhere on the partial editor instead of just zooming in on the first few partials)
  • when pasting a non integer value in the coarse tune section of an oscillator, have the value be split accordingly between the coarse tune section and the fine tune section instead of just rounding to the nearest integer in the coarse tune section (for example, entering 1.111 into the coarse tune section would set the coarse tune to 1 and the fine tune to 11.1)
    Medium:
  • option to generate partials mathematically in the wave source editor (for example, if I set harmonics according to 2n - 1 to the maximum amplitude, I would be setting all harmonics in the sequence 1, 3, 5, 7 … to the maximum amplitude. For a saw wave pitched up two octaves within the wavetable, I would set the harmonics according to 4n-0 to the maximum amplitude, scaled by the partial number. I hope I’ve explained this feature well enough)
  • option to export a frame from an audio file source to an editable wave source (since the harmonics in an audio file source are uneditable)
  • option to see the exact hertz and amplitude values of peaks in the spectral analyzer (I don’t know if this is actually possible or not but I think it would be useful to have this feature in order to see what exact partials make up a sample)
  • option for custom keyboard to midi note mappings (the computer keyboard, not external midi controller keyboards)
    Large:
  • an additive oscillator that is able to contain inharmonic partials unlike the other wavetable oscillators. (This would hopefully include variations of the spectral warp modes that aren’t locked to the harmonic series like they are in the wavetable oscillators. In addition, this oscillator would hopefully be able to offer more accurate resynthesis of samples than in the wavetable oscillators.)

I completely understand if Vital doesn’t get any of these features, but I still hope at least some of these features can come to Vital eventually. As it is, I am very thankful for the work that you (Matt Tytel) already put into this synth, and I wish you the best for your future work on this incredible synth!

3 Likes

+1 on harmonic numbers in the wavetable editor

1 Like

The thing you said: “an additive oscillator that is able to contain inharmonic partials” could be something special.

Normal oscillators are known to be static. If you combine harmonic partial(s) and inharmonic partial(s) it would result to phasing, thus making it’s amplitude sound wobbly or dynamic rather than steady/static. So the signal from the oscillator would change each cycle constantly. Thus I would call it “dynamic oscillator”. That’s a great and pretty advanced idea you’ve made.:smiley:

2 Likes