Undo/Redo Buttons

Absolutely YES please. The only thing I really miss.

+1 that would be awesome

1 Like

really need that! :scream:

As far as I can tell this is still not implemented unfortunately. :worried:

You hit CTRL+Z in Bitwig, and command gets sent to Bitwig and not Vital. So if the last thing you did in Bitwig was create Vital, BOOM vital gets wiped out and any unsaved preset you were working on gets wiped out.

1 Like

Interesting twist on the undo concept. Slightly different than undo within Vital, but equally as frustrating. Some sort of “recover last patch” would be so valuable in this use case.

No plugin can repair every mistake made by the user.

Ummm. Yes it can. It’s called “Undo”.

Ummm no it can’t

Different than undo last parameter change in Vital.

How about this…stop making mistakes then the developer won’t have to spend time adding options to bail you out. Then he can spend that time adding features that actually make the synth better.

If you make a parameter change and don’t like it…change it back. Don’t hit CTRL+Z right after you load Vital and you won’t lose anything and so on.

Undo is for newbies…learn how to use your synths and you’ll be much better off.

For some users, Ctrl-Z (Cmd-Z) is an instinctive move. It is so ubiquitous in modern software that you might use it before you even remember that Vital doesn’t support it.

I’ve never had the experience that @bhajan.raum described. But I can imagine how frustrating that might have been. This is something called “empathy”. I think it’s an important trait for anyone who is designing user interfaces.

I’m glad you never make mistakes. For the rest of the mortals that use Vital, features like an Undo stack or patch recovery could really come in handy.

It’s not that I never make mistakes it’s just that I never use Undo even in plugins that have Undo/Redo buttons. If you changed a parameter it’s because you didn’t like the way it was set before. Setting it back to a value you didn’t like before makes no sense whatsoever. I have never used Ctrl+Z…ever.

Change the Cutoff and don’t like it? Change it to something else and so on.

My point is you can’t expect your plugins to compensate for every one of your mistakes. In this case asking Vital to fix the damage done by a qwerty command sent to the DAW just because the user wasn’t paying attention.

That’s not realistic and doesn’t have empathy for the developer. Wouldn’t you rather he spend time on things that expand the sounds Vital can make instead of training wheel “features” that only serve those who won’t put the time in to learn the plugin to the point where they don’t need to undo things all the time?

Some effort is required to operate any plugin. That’s just a fact of life.

Do you use the undo button in your daw?

doesn’t work reliably (or as expected) in logic
for example: changes in the filter cutoff won’t be undone
effects activation/deactivation is quite erratic etc etc

As a developer, why would you want to be removing QoL options that increase baseline efficiency? This is like telling someone to use the GUI over Keyboard Shortcuts. For example, if you change filter cutoff from 524 Hz to something like 1124 Hz and want to change it back pressing control z or pressing “undo” is going to be faster 100% of the time, than trying to recall the exact Hz value the filter was set at previously. Or what if you accidentally drop something on your keyboard and it changes some parameters? Undo/Redo is universal across every program, creative or not, and suggesting to someone to “just not make mistakes” is laughable IMO. But whatever floats ur boat I guess. This isn’t directed to you, but the dude who responded prior.

No, I do not.

You’re only looking at it from your point of view. I don’t use qwerty shortcuts. So no it will not be faster for me. Like I said if you change a value that means you didn’t like that value so why go back? I program with my ears. We’re not playing video games we’re making music. I’m focused on my midi keyboard controller not the qwerty keyboard.

Many of the plugins I use in my starting lineup do not have Undo/Redo buttons and I couldn’t care less.

If you learn your tools you’ll find you don’t need to undo all the time. As for dropping something on your keyboard that’s really stretching. Just don’t drop anything on your keyboard. Your software can’t be expected to hold your hand while you work.

crazy meat riding

In FL Studio, if you hit Ctrl-Z, it undos, and Ctrl-Alt-Z redos things in Vital!

1 Like

Very eloquent reply. :roll_eyes:

Just weighing in here. GUI Buttons aside, Ctrl+Z seems to work perfectly with Vital in standalone mode, but inside Ableton it’s a mess. Perhaps Ableton is the problem. Either way quite annoying. Anyone work this out?