Unable to Control Phase Randomization on Oscillator When Using MIDI Controller

When triggering notes using an external midi controller (Arturia KeyStep 37) and setting the phase randomization to 0% for an oscillator notes continue to trigger starting at what appears to be a randomized phase. When I launch the notes using my computer keyboard however the phase appears appropriately the same. AFAIK this appears to be a bug.

How are you measuring phase? A video of the issue is probably the best way to track down the issue if you can make one.

Will do video when I get a chance today. I have been looking at the visualized output in Vital itself to determine whether the phase is triggering at a different phase or not so it’s possible that I’m just misunderstanding something there. I often work on my laptop with just the QWERTY keys for input, and was seeing what appears to be different behavior when using my MIDI controller at my other computer.

Here’s a video of what I was seeing

It doesn’t seem like it’s causing the individual oscs to have randomized phase which is good, but the final output seems to be different for whatever reason which seems unexpected and like it might not be intended behavior.

Ah hmm i’m pretty sure this is just be a graphical shift, not an actual audio related one.
Will check later.

Hi guys,

Did this ever get investigated/solved…?
I’ve started noticing the same issue with my midi keyboard and with my pc keyboard…
I saw on another thread it could be related to the envelope parameter settings which I then thoroughly checked in different positions near 0% but no luck, I will be investigating further tonight, I’ll post a video and patch if necessary.

Help would be greatly appreciated

AFAIK this was never addressed. I haven’t checked it myself in some time tho

What I was saying above is that the phase of oscillator is probably fine and the phase of the oscilloscope in vital is not syncing/resetting perfectly when using a midi controller.

You could record audio of notes played with a midi controller and check if the notes start at the same phase to see if it’s really phase shifted.

Thanks for responding promptly, I’ll do some audio recording tests tonight, however, I believe it was clearly audible when I was trying to fix it last night…

You know your stuff, after recording some audio clips I can confirm this is an oscilloscope issue and the phase of the audio is correct according to the phase settings. :slightly_smiling_face:
One thing that I noticed last night and in the past (which I think is the reason I believed I could hear phase issues), is that when using 1 voice I have experienced clicks when triggering a new note before a previous note had reached the end of its envelopes decay and/or release tail.
However I updated to 1.0.8 tonight and have not been able to recreate the issue tonight…
Was this an issue that was known about and fixed in update 1.0.8?