Should Vital be sold?

If you or another are hinging your own profits on Vital, then consider re-investing some of them in Vital or Vitalium and/or going the Kickstarter/GoFundMe route.

Otherwise, why bother with a FLOSS project and/or changing its model when you already have MassiveX or Serum? They’re wavetables too and already for-profit proprietary.

If Matt says he’s still working on stuff and hasn’t abandoned the project-- and I seem to recall reading that here-- then I don’t see why some of you feel the need to micromanage him.

Some of you seem to want to eat your cake and have it too and, frankly, I’m unsure I like it.

Has anyone in your and a similar boat tried to contact Vitalium’s devs, made a request or two and maybe offered them some kind of deal for it? That way, since it’s FLOSS (AFAIU), Matt could simply reverse-incorporate the changes/improvements into Vital for those who want to continue using Vital and Matt could continue focusing on whatever he wants. Win-win-win.

1 Like

FOSS isn’t important to me. I care about having reliable tools, and I’m willing to pay for that to not need to organize or take part of the development of those tools.

To what extent Vital can be considered FOSS is questionable, since the available source isn’t current, but quite old. It’s not possible to use 1.5.5 patches with a synth compiled from the old source. It could be stated that Vital has a FOSS version for sure.

I don’t have any need to micromanage anyone. It’d just be relieving to know that the current and emerging incompatibilities and bugs would be fixed at least.

Sure, there are many other wavetable synths out there, but there’s only one Vital. I happen to enjoy Vital a lot. But whatever, I’ll just build my patches on other synths then and keep Vital around as a non-serious toy.

1 Like

I just wrote this in another section of the forum:

Vital’s great! Where Vital can do text-to-speech, if somehow attached to AI, theoretically, it could do any sound, maybe even just by talking to it…

Us: “Hey, Vital!”
Vital: “Good morning! Ready for some music?!”
Us: “We sure are! Watcha got!? Any ideas since yesterday?”
Vital: “I sure do!..”

I’ve got the free RVC running on my computer in the form of Pinokio. Maybe it’s related in a very tangential way to Synplant 2. I’ve yet to use it, but we’ll see…

…But maybe that’s part of my points above; to keep an open mind, look around and don’t put all your eggs in one basket or bother/bother with the artists or coders too much.

Coding may become somewhat obsolete anyway, just like much of our use of browsers for example to access the net. Lots of code behind them that we don’t see or bother with and maybe shouldn’t as humans.
Much should be the jobs of computers/AI at least mainly to free up more time for humans to do what they love, prefer and are better at or more suited to doing.