Resynthesis: random phase shifting and unexplained artifacts(?)

I am learning how to use Vital’s resynthesis feature. My first experiment was to open an init patch (default saw wave), and then resynthesize it to Oscillator 2 and Oscillator 3. Then I looked at the waveforms. The resynthesized waveforms were wonky for 2 reasons. (1) unexplained artifacts induced in the resulting waveform; and (2) random phase shifting every time I resynthesized. #2 I have figured out. To keep phase locked, to the original source, I have to dial “Phase” on oscillator 1 all the way down from default (100%) to 0%, That fixed the random phasing shifting problem. Now every time I resynthesize, the phase stays consistent with the source waveform.

But… I still have the problem of the artifacts. I am attempting to upload a screenshot with this post to show what I see. With phase on oscillator 1 set to 0% the resynthesized waveforms are now consistent with the source wave on phase. But the artifacts are still present. Is there a way to solve this so that resynthesis accurately reflects the source saw wave?

The init saw is drawn with lines, it’s not a sample. What you see when you resynthesize is a sampled wavetable. That’s bound to look different. If you want it to match the source as closely as possible you might want to try turning off oversampling, but that may lead to aliasing issues when you’re resynthesizing processed wavetables. Focus on the sound, not on looks.

The phase parameter you’re talking about is phase randomizer. That’s supposed to randomize phase, so random phase when that’s at 100% is what it’s supposed to do. The leftmost phase setting rotates the phase.

I need to rotate phase to 205 to actually have the phase match the source. What plugin format and Vital version are you using?

1 Like

Thanks for your reply and explaining the drawn lines vs sample distinction. Yes, ultimately it is about the sound, just wasn’t sure if I needed to do something more to set up for a resynthesis that is as close as possible to the source being sampled.

I am using Vital 1.5.5 VST3 in Ableton/Windows. I may be using the word “phase” wrong. What I mean is that when I loaded an init patch and just tried resynthesizing to oscillator 2, I noticed that the resulting waveform would shift around, each time I did a new resynthesis. Here is a picture of that, where I resynthesized once to oscillator 2 (turned off), and then to oscillator 3 (also turned off). With Phase randomization at 100% on Oscillator 1, the zero crossings shift around every time I do another resynthesis. Now that I understand to turn this control down to 0%, (my picture, above) to keep the phase consistent and aligned with the source.

Slight correction: now that I look very closely at the start and end points on resynthesis, they don’t exactly line up when Phase on Oscillator 1 is set to 180 degrees. My best eyeball of it (sorry, I am new at this), is that the resynthesized waveform most closely has the same zero crossings when I set Oscillator 1’s phase to 188 degrees.

Regarding the artifacts, I looked at the wavetable editor for the source (Oscillator 1) which is (of course) a perfect saw wave in the harmonic series and phase. But on resynthesis, some weird things happen to the phase and upper harmonics, almost looks like a filter of some sort being applied. May just be the nature of the beast of resynthesis in Vital, I guess. Like you said, what matters in the end is the sound.

Here’s what I get on resynthesize.

I’d really like to know why are my resynthesized wavetables shifted about 23.5 degrees if that doesn’t happen to other people. The shift happens with both standalone and VST3 versions of Vital 1.5.5 on Windows for me.

Edit: sample rate affects the shift. The higher it is, the more the phase shifts. I take it you’re running at 44k.

What you’re seeing regarding hf content is likely filtering associated with oversampling. When you turn oversampling off in the advanced tab that goes away, but as said, you’re then giving up the benefits of oversampling. Comme si, comme ca.