Question about LFO

Hey guys, so I’m digging into a sequence I’ve found and I’m trying to figure out why would someone assign 2 LFO’s to control the same parameter (in this case Filter Cutoff)? I slowly get the basic concept of LFO and what it does but two of them working together on the same knob is not clear to me. Would love to hear your thoughts.

Hi @levasaf. Pointing multiple LFOs to the same source can give you a more complex modulation.
The two sources are combined to give you something more interesting (potentially) :slight_smile:

Here’s a very quick example:

• LFO1 is a triangle, moves the filter cutoff frequency up and then down.
  • LFO2 is ramp, gradually increases the cutoff frequency.

By combining the two modulations you get a rising and undulating filter cutoff.

2 LFO example.vital (170.1 KB)

Hope this helps.

EDIT: as you can create complex LFO shapes in vital, this particular example could perhaps be achieved with one LFO. However I think the multiple LFO approach leads to greater experimentation (via modulation amount, LFO shape, LFO frequency, LFO smooth, LFO phase, LFO delay …)

1 Like

Hi @andrew_a, thanks for commenting and for the quick example. This was helpful :slight_smile:

1 Like

You’re welcome @levasaf. Happy experimenting.

Some of the sequence patches I’ve seen do some clever things with multiple LFOs to achieve a “song in patch” effect.

Again, just for illustration, here’s a patch where LFO1 is playing a run (of eight 16th notes) and LFO2 is changing the octave every half bar (both LFOS are modulating pitch).

2 LFO pitch example.vital (245.4 KB)

All the best.

1 Like