Purpose of the Keyframe Nodes within a Wavetable?

Dear VITAL users,

I am wondering: What is the purpose of the keyframe nodes, created under your individual wavetable edit?

So you click to add keyframes… but then what use are they once you’ve got 'em? How are they then accessed, or sequenced or stepped through? I am familiar with keyframes only within the context of film editing and animation.

Thanks, ras

AFAIK keyframes are where you make your changes so let’s say you have a keyframe at 0, 127 and 256 with a sine, triangle and square wave respectively, as you move the index, it will interpolate between the settings at those three frames, to create a seamless morphing wavetable starting with a sine, through a triangle and finally a square wave output.

I think of them of as kind of waypoints, instructing the scanning index of what to do next, if that makes any sort of sense to you :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Good description @PieBerger!

So the “timelines” those nodes sit upon are not “time”, per se, as in milliseconds or anything, but rather represent “states” in a complex waveform? That can be scrolled through? Or given to an envelope or LFO or MIDI controller?

Yes, it’s not really a time line, it’s more of a “wave table index line”.

I was looking for that option too. You scroll trough those points same way you scan wavetable. I mean you can ONLY scan wavetable. I was waiting to be able to modulate things on that window independently from normal wavescanning, but that does not seem to be possible.

You can do things with that in real-time where in Serum those functions are offline.

More like states, yes :slight_smile:

I guess its not like a time-line, more like flicking thru a deck of cards with the waveform on each card. The “waypoints” or keyframes mark the boundaries of what action (wavefold, filter etc) you do on them. simplest example is start to finish with different settings for each. Similar (but better ) to what Phaseplant uses.