Pleasae support El Capitan (OSX 10.11.6)

Pleasae support El Capitan (OSX 10.11.6)

El Capitan was released over five years ago. No small developer should be expected to still support such an outdated version of the Mac OS.

1 Like

I don’t think I’m going to because a library I’m using requires 10.12. This could just be a dependency issue but it would take a while to figure out the cause so I probably won’t end up doing this.

1 Like

i feel for the OP, but no developer should have to support a legacy OS; and, for matt (or any developer), there’s enough bug-squashes, requests for features, and other needs to keep them busy.

From what I recall at the time, a lot of the CoreAudio framework was rewritten for 10.12, so anything prior to that would require totally different libraries to be able to compile the final plugin. And for that you would also need a legacy machine to be able to do the testing.

It’s way too much time, effort and price to support something which was superseded 5 years ago already.

I have two laptops, 2008 and 2012 models. The 2008 model can run 10.11 but no later OS.

Even though I knew that OS 10.11 wasn’t supported, and that the 2008 MBP might buckle from the “strain” while running Vital, I still installed it, and got it to work, partially. (I would NOT expect any support for that installation!). It actually seems to run ok, under “entry level” conditions.

The question of how far back to reach in terms of OS also touches on hardware. I suppose different people are on different hardware upgrarde schedules. I’m always happy if I can get 10 years out of a computer. My laptops are 12 and 8 years old.

Considering a hardware synth could have a 20-30 year lifespan is not an apples-to-apples with software instruments.

1 Like

this is one of those things that makes proprietary synths unpleasant. though i suppose the counter argument is they are cheaper (zebtra is 200$, but an equivalent hardsynth is 500$+ or more in 2020. thousands of dollars in 1990.)

With hardware synths of the past, they had to be refined and well-tested before released into the wild. This is also true of more recent digital synths, but firmware updates can fix bugs and add features.

With sofware synths, it can be an ongoing project to continue sculpting the feature set, fixing issues for different systems/DAWs, as well as maintaining software compatibility with new OS versions, and once in a blue moon (like now) new chips (M1). And all this for a much lower unit price, and higher support overhead.

I hope Mr Tytel makes some money!!

problem is, forced OS updates cause us to LOSE plugins we paid for that are no longer developed.

NO reason a VST plugin should be OS dependent. The VST and VST3 standards are not controlled by the os.

I know of VST plugins who’s INSTALLER won’t run due to INSTALLER OS requirements, but if you extract the VST they load in the DAW just fine.

the VST doesn’t talk to core audio, it interacts with the DAW code. Only the DAW needs to talk to coreaudio.

1 Like