Patch Size Tipp: Patch Export contains full "Whitenoise" sample data even if SMP is switched of

TIPP: When you are not using the SMP then at least replace the whitenoise sample of the “Intial Patch” with a shorter sample.

I have exported the “Initial Patch” right after adding Vital to my Project.
The Patch is 170KB in size.

I have looked into the Patch File, which is mostly text.
And it contains the witenoise sample as binary Blob.

Then I have copied the original Whitenoise Sample to the Users Folder (%home%\documents\Vital\User\Samples) and shortend it considerably.

Again I’ve started with the “Initial Patch”, shortly activated SMP, replaced the original WN with my shorter version and again deactivated SMP.
Again I did an export.

The Patch is now 56 KB in size, so more than 100KB saved… okay in days of TB hardrives not a big deal. But why waste hd space with the same WN sample over and over again … and it is even mostly unused.

] Peter:H [

6 Likes

Hi Peter,
this tipp doesn’t only save space on the HD-drive, but it is also helpful when you want to upload presets :+1:

2 Likes

To add to this, by removing all wavetable keyframes in your Init patch or switching to “Line Source” (instead of Wave Source), you can further squeeze the size down to ~24kb.

1 Like

Yeah I really should have a default white noise source that’s built in to cut down on disk space. Will probably do that at some point.

7 Likes

This is a good tip :+1: