Note to pitch remapping in the mod matrix? (example patch)

trying to figure out how the notes are remapped by the matrix, etc. too many questions for one post. Example below.

ok, just did an experiment:
turned off NOTE TRACK on OSC1
mod remap NOTE to OSC1 TRANSPOSE
Turned the PITCH (TRANSPOSE in semitones) all the way to -48
Turned Mod amount (uni) all the way up to 96 (because -48 to 48 is 96)

Something like this should result in no difference between not doing these steps, but the notes aren’t right.

maybe i made an user error.

the example patch:

note tracking off remap transpose with NOTE.vital (395.3 KB)

Have you tried it with bipolar mod?

Remaps would need proper scales to save the user from reverse-engineering those.

Edit: your modulation might be thrown off by the fact that apparently Vital responds to 128 midi notes, as can be seen from the virtual keyboard, but the modulation is limited to 97 semitones.

…oh this is a mess. With bipolar note mod in osc pitch it seems Vital thinks that the middle point of the note mod output curve, 0.5 phase with linear remap from corner to corner, is MIDI note C2 (note number 48) output exactly, and that’s somewhere between D#4 and E4 on mod source scale on linear curve from corner to corner. This is the same note Vital outputs when osc Note Track is disabled.

The choice of C2 seems a bit weird, since the standard MIDI middle C is note number 60, C3.

So, 0.5 mod output value gives C2, but even that’s next to impossible to put into exactly right place on input scale, since it’s not possible to snap to midi note grid when editing curves, it’s not possible to snap to current mod source point, and the adjustment with mouse is quite imprecise, and there’s no fine tune modifier key for adjusting curve points in mod remap or LFO.

With unipolar, and untransposed osc, Vital outputs C2 at C-2 (#0) keypress. That’s exactly 4 octaves above the key, so this can be fixed wih -48 transpose, if one wants to stay in the standard midi octave numbers with a keyborard.

Fortunately, all that’s left to do after that is to adjust the high point of the curve to agree with C 96 semitones above the midi note 0, and that’s what I did, and here’s the MIDI note track mod remap curve for you in a .vitallfo file.

It’s not super precise, but it’s as close as I could get now with only a single linear curve. The highest C is quite well tuned, but the ones below that aren’t as good, but they get better the lower you go.

This curve works for both unipolar and bipolar mods.

Just lemme know if you can make it better and how you did it, so I’ll learn something new as well.

1 Like

Curiously, in Vital standalone you get spot on note mod pitch with flat horizontal remap curve at 0.5, but when using plugin you need to remap with the similar curve that I made.

I even generated LFO data with a python script assuming the steps are evenly spaced across the note and pitch range, but that didn’t result in a perfect remap either in a plugin version of Vital. I guess Tytel is the only person who can fix this.

1 Like

Thanks for taking the time. I thought it was just me that was having a tough time figuring this out, but there’s a bit to learn from your work.

one thing that might be good is if the mod matrix remap grid went all the way across the piano keys and one could divide the grid up to as many spaces as there are keys/notes. this way we could do multitimbral type patches. i.e. you could have a completely different sound coming from every note, more or less easy to create things like ‘groups’ etc. that’s really what i was trying to do in the first place. I’d be fine if vital had no playable notes outside of the virtual keyboard’s range.

one wavetable of drum hits could be mapped to specific keys in GM format. lots of stuff would open up.

1 Like