Not showing up in Ableton after upgrading to Monterey OS

The standalone version is working, but Ableton cannot find the VST or the VST3. It worked with Ableton while I was on Big Sur, but once I updated to Monterey and started using the Universal macOS version of Ableton (it was running on Rosetta before), Ableton couldn’t find it. Any ideas? Thanks

Screenshot2022_02_05_103008

I’m using macOS Monterey 12.2, Ableton Live 11.1, and Vital 1.0.7 on a MBA M1.

1 Like

I’m also on MBA M1 with Ableton 11.1 but haven’t upgraded to Monterey yet - I’m afraid it would ruin things :stuck_out_tongue: will be interesting to read replies here…

HAHA yeah maybe hold off on upgrading for a bit… I upgraded because Ableton just came out with native M1 support and Monterey support.

1 Like

From what I’ve read, there are two things different in Live 11.1:

• Intel-based plugins will not show up unless you run Live using Rosetta (ctrl-click Live and click a checkbox to do this). So I guess Vital isn’t shipping M1-native or universal yet. You’ll have to run Live using Rosetta if you want to use it. This goes for a lot of plugins still, including Native Instruments Kontakt Player, but there are threads on forums elsewhere reporting new M1-native plugins weekly from all different publishers.
  • The application will open before finishing scanning all the plugins - this is different from before, where you waited watching the splash screen while all plugin folders got scanned for changes. This might mean that some plugins don’t show up until a few seconds after the app loads.
2 Likes

Can confirm that Vital is still compiled for Intel only:

$ file Vital.vst3/Contents/MacOS/Vital
Vital.vst3/Contents/MacOS/Vital: Mach-O 64-bit bundle x86_64

This makes it officially unusable in Ableton 11.1 going forward. The tools have been there for over 2 years to mac a universal binary. Will it ever happen?

1 Like

As Ableton Live 11.1 is now Apple Silicon native you have to run it in Rosetta mode so it supports non-native VSTs like Vital

Thanks, all! I knew it probably had to do with me upgrading to Ableton macOS Universal, but I wasn’t sure if it was that or upgrading to Monterey. How do I run Ableton on Rosetta without reinstalling the Intel version of Ableton? Thanks. @michael1 control-clicking doesn’t give a checkbox… Not sure what I’m doing wrong?

Google is your friend… :wink: https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/articles/4415807634322

1 Like

Indeed and thanks for adding this link to the thread. This is what I’m doing, and it works. Running Vital (Intel-only) on Live 11.1.

For me, I think I’ll be using Rosetta for my DAW for a while still.

Here is the M1-native plugin tracking thread I mentioned. Hope to see Vital end up there someday. https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=556728&start=1005

2 Likes