How to Get Started with Vital's Advanced Modulation Features?

Hey everyone,

I am new to Vital and really excited to dive deeper into its sound design possibilities. I have explored the basic waveforms and presets;, but now I want to understand how to use the more advanced modulation features like LFOs, envelopes and macros to create evolving sounds. The modulation system looks really flexible but I am not quite sure how to fully harness it for complex patches.

Here are a few things I would love help with ::-

• Best practices for assigning multiple modulations without things getting messy.
  • Tips on using macros effectively to control several parameters at once.
  • How to create more organic, evolving textures over time (e.g., ambient pads or cinematic sounds).

If anyone has tutorials, tips or patch examples that show these in action…, that would be amazing !! I also searched on the Reddit and found this thread https://www.reddit.com/r/edmproduction/comments/k2qeqe/vital_advanced_modulation_options_vital_vs_serum-azure-admin/ but coludn’t get enough solution.

Looking forward to learning from the community.

Thanks in advance !!

With Regards,
Derek Theler

Hey Derek, what kind of music do you like more specifically? For example, S1gn of L1fe is a good youtube channel for ambient sounds
Dash Glitch is a bit more advanced but excellent stuff on synths in general (psytrance).
But otherwise, if you’re looking for a wide range of content, id suggest anything under the ambient, evolving, atmospheric, dub techno, dub, future garage umbrellas - as they all can provide different perspectives on creating these types of soundscapes.
For example, I was messing around in ableton the other day trying to recreate PlayStation 1 game soundtrack inspired type thing. Just trying to illustrate that many genres out there have fun and interesting techniques for atmospheres and the like.

Anyway sorry rambly today, to answer you other questions:

Regarding lots of modulations, if you’re looking to get lots of variability, modulating modulators is the easiest way. Mapping an LFO to many things, and then modulation that LFOs parameters with another LFO, for example. Taking modulators (envs, lfos, random, etc) and mapping them to other modulators, or mapping them to modulation amounts will give you lots of variety with little difficulty. Simply take time finding nice “niches” with the shapes and durations of the modulations. Up a level would be changing the modulation curves in the matrix, which adds another layer of that complexity.

For macros, I name mine based on function, such as Heat, Space, Open, Decay, Dust. (just examples) but even without knowing the modulations you already have an idea what that knob does.
I also love, like I mentioned, using macros on modulation amount, as a way to turn on/off that “aspect” of the sound, if that makes sense?

Not sure if this was the kind of stuff you were looking for but hope this helps!