How does the math work with modulators?

How does the math work with routing?

I have a macro affecting the frequency of an LFO. Keeping the macro knob all the way up and setting the amount which it’s affecting it to 0.25 seemed to multiply the frequency by 16.

I assumed entering 0.5 on the same wheel would make it now be 32 times as fast, but when I set another LFO’s frequency to that exact value, it was clear they didn’t sync.

If I set the macro’s influence to 1, would it turn the parameter up as high as it goes?

I entered 0.5 and set my duplicate to the value that’s halfway between the startup value and the maximum, (the average of the two) but that didn’t sync either.

Thanks,
Jasmine

Hey Jasmine,

I don’t think it’s that complicated behind the scenes - the Macro knob is more a percentage of applied modulation to the parameter(s) in question.

Therefore, if you’re trying to get to modulation amounts to line up nicely with the macro amounts, you will have to figure out the math first - in your case the LFO speeds probably easiest in to do in Seconds - anyway you’ll need to math nicely by using specific start and end values for the specific amount of modulation required to make that happen.

Ex: LFO 1 speed range set to 1s)up to 2s with modulation. LFO 2 speed range also set up 1s up to 2s with the same modulation amount. Now when you turn the macro, at 0.5 (50% modulation) both LFOs will be at 1.5s speed. Simple example but just trying to illustrate the math you’ll need to do.

please feel free to clarify if this wasn’t what you meant?

Advanced: the above info is under the assumption the modulation mapping/matrix remains linear. You can edit the matrix to effect the modulation is a nonlinear way or to occur at different values.
However, regardless of all these changes, math, fiddling you can do - the Macro will always remain a percentage amount of modulation occurring, based on all the above parameters you’ve set.

Hope this helps :slight_smile:
also just my thoughts and knowledge, other members might be able to confirm stuff more in depth, not an expert here lol

Edit: To answer your direct question, no, setting the value of the Macro to 1 only maxes out the amount of modulation you’ve applied. But yes, you can increase the modulation amount to be the highest possible value, at which point then yes your macro would indeed go “all the way” at full

SOLVED:
THE PERIOD MULTIPLIES BY 4 EVERY TIME YOU INCREASE THE MODULATION BY 0.125
eg.
If my LFO period is 4 seconds,
and I want Macro 1 to modulate it such that when it’s turned all the way up the period becomes 1 second,
I’d just set my factor to 0.125

I believe the function is
y = 2 ^ (-16x)

Hi, I’m still confused on something.
How do I know what value of modulation will bring the 1 second rate to the 2 second rate?

I tried to set this up how you described, I set my macro to max because i want it to go from 1 seconds to 2 when turned all the way, and then I tried setting the modulation amount, but it was just guess and check.

I’m certain there must be a way to know exactly how how much modulation would take a parameter from 1 second to 2, and that’s what I’m trying to ask about.

Thanks,
Jasmine

The frequency is not linear but logarithmic.

1 Like

SOLVED:
eg.
and I want Macro 1 to modulate it such that when it’s turned all the way up the period becomes 1 second,

y = 2 ^ (-16x)

I’m sorry, could you elaborate please?

1 Like

Over the length of 0 to 1 the frequency goes from 0.001 to 128 seconds, if it goes linear 0.5 would mean 64 seconds, but it does not because the speed in which the time increases is logarithmic. f.i. from 0 to 0.5 it only goes from 0.001 to about 2 seconds see graph below

Iimagine 50 is 0.5 then both scales differ.
The beginning and end are the same but how we get there differs

SOLVED:
eg.

y = 2 ^ (-16x)

Well that would explain why setting it to 0.5 doesn’t do what I had expected, but do we know exactly what the function is?
I assume that’s what I need to know to be able to predict the output from the input and factor, right?

Correct but I do not have a clue what the function behind this is.

SOLVED:
eg.

y = 2 ^ (-16x)

I roughly graphed it, it’s something like this

This is close enough for me to eyeball a point and have it be relatively accurate, but it’s probably something really simple. It’s like “cubic” or “sinusoidal” or some standard math thing i dont know.

(This is graphing the frequency, not the period, i just converted it)

1 Like

SOLVED:
eg.

y = 2 ^ (-16x)

HUGE UPDATE:
Ok so I know exactly what it’s doing in the negative direction.
At 0 the period is 1
at -0.125 the period is 4
at -0.25 its 16
at -0.375 its 64 etc

Every time you give it a bump of -0.125 it’s multiplying by 4!!
So to get it from 1 second to 2 seconds, you put in -0.625.
Now the only question is like

Is it doing the same thing in the positive direction?

EDIT: I JUST CHECKED IT TOTALLY IS

3 Likes

Sorry I botched my explanation, I misunderstood your question I think and explained the macro when I should have been explaining the frequency like @Yeager did , but you ended up doing the math anyway in the end :slight_smile: lmao happy modulating!

3 Likes

Thank you very much lol have a lovely day

2 Likes

This is totally useful, thanks!

For the future when you encounter these kind of problems you can just sample a couple of values and enter them here: https://mycurvefit.com/