Having trouble importing/exporting voice .wav file to pitch

Hi everyone!

I’m trying to create an emulation of an analogue oscillator with continuous wave shape control.

Problem: the resulting .wav file i export from the Vital wave editor is always 5 keys up from the original sample i recorded in my DAW.

My workflow is this:

• I record a short C0 or C1 note of every ‘base’ wave shape i need (no filtering, envelope or effects obvs.)
  • I isolate a single wave cycle from each wave shape, making sure each cycle is the exact same sample count (2698 samples at 88.200 Khz) and stitch them together one after the other.
  • I export the result from my DAW at 88.200 Khz / 16 bit and import it into Vital’s wave editor.
  • I set the exact start and end point of every key frame (in my case 6 in total).
  • I set the blend style of the key frames to Time.

Now when i play my keyboard in Vital, there’s no difference at all in note pitch between my preset and the innit preset. But when i export to .wav from the wave editor and import the file back into Cubase (same project sample rate and bit depth as the .wav file) theres a 5+ key difference in pitch.

As far as i can tell, the oscillator pitch settings in Vital have no influence on the file exported from the wave editor.

What i’m going to try next is import a file that is recorded at -5 keys from the base pitch i really need from the resulting wavetable. But i’m pretty sure that’s not going to work.

Can someone tell me what’s going on here?
Why does Vital change the base pitch of a short series of single cycle wave forms, and what is that change based on?

I’ve seen video tutorials advising to use vocoder for better pitch detection when importing samples , but i’m trying to keep the original sample as high quality and unaltered as possible.

Many thanks in advance!

Greets,
Peter

Hi, I have the same problem here. I would like to make a wavetable and import it in my hardware devices, but sadly it tuned in F, when it should be tuned in C. When I try to change the pitch with Audacity it makes a lot of glitches and noises.
Any solution to have wave file tuned in C ?

a wavetable does not really have pitch, since it is just one cycle of the waveform (or one cycle per table index). are you talking about wavetable export?

maybe your hardware units cannot deal with the amount of samplepoints that vital generates? what HW unit are you using?

Yes, I exported the wavetable and the pitch is F, I am wondering if it should be tuned in C.
After export the wavetable open Audacity, and I saw that the pitch was F, I don’t know why. Is that correct? I can’t use the wavetable in my hardware because the pitch is incorrect. I tried to pitch the wave file transposing the pitch from the original F to C, but sadly some glitches and noises are created.

i can only repeat myself. the wavetable has no notion of pitch, it is just a single cycle of a waveform. if you import a wavetable file into audacity, then the samplerate value that is used in the descriptor of the wav file will determine the pitch that audacity plays back that wavetable. i can see how that is a bit irritating, since wav files are normally used as containers for sound. but you can load the same wav file into an editor at different samplerate settings and it will have a different pitch every time. that is why the file has a samplerate written into the header…

what you want to look into is, what kind of wavetables your HW unit accepts… are you sure it can deal with multi wave (scannable) wavetables? how many points (samples) per wavetable slice does it accept?

Thanks for your time, I appreciate it a lot. I wouldn’t like disturb you.
I usually use watetables as .wav file in my hardware device, as a sample. I can set the start point, so I can move over the sample (wavetable). Setting a short decay, together with start point, is the most close way to work like a wavetable synth I found.
I usually export the wavetable as .wav file. So, I theory I need to use samples in C in order to work correctly.
When I export the wavetable from Vital I get a wav file with the sound, the pitch of that sound F, 88.2khz, 524.288samples. I realized that if I increase the speed 49,831% I get the sound tuned in C.