Functions -- Note, Velocity, etc. tips, usage?

I feel I need to better understand the use of the functions in the block on the lower right of Vital.

I understand the basics of what’s there, but would appreciate any suggestions for using them. If you know a video that’s covered these, toss me a link or channel. I’m not yet working with any MEP as yet controllers so don’t need that, maybe others do.

Thanks.

1 Like

Note, changes based off of the note played over the entirety of the keyboard

• You could use it for things like filters when you want to cut off higher frequencies the lower you get

Velocity, changes based off of how hard you hit the note

• Attach it to unison detune, so the harder you hit a note, the more out of tune it is

I’m not too sure what lift does, but I think it plays during the sustain tail?

• Add a distortion effect that increases as the note ends.

Octave Note, changes based on what note you play from 1 octave

• Useful for making drum kits in vital

Random, gives a random value every keypress

• Good for adding randomness to your patch

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Lift is release velocity. Some controllers send this… Basically how fast are you lifting the key

There is also pressure/after touch which let’s you modulate the sound by changing pressure on the keys after a note is played (on supported controllers)

2 Likes

Thanks, very helpful. I’ve started using some of these after seeing them in other presets.

Where’s the best place to send the velocity modulator in order to cause a particular voice event to be played on a volume scale from a theoretical -inf to 0db?

and what would be the proper setting, polarity etc?

I’m looking for the velocity modulator to be a multiplier of the audio stream (per voice) that has a value of 0-1 but instead it seems to be additive.

if i am sending velocity to an oscillator that has an envelope controlling the volume level, where do i target the velocity? directly to the osc’s volume, or to the envelope’s modulator dial? I feel like I have tried a few things and I’m not getting the desired multiplier style volume attenuation I am looking for (in simple stream level scaling DSP terms). Of course I may be thinking of velo in the wrong way for vital, which is why I seek enlightenment.

In theory, if you pull the oscillator volume all the way down, put velocity on it, and then mod depth all the way up, the notes should scale from -inf to 0. If you’re also controlling that with an envelope, I think you’d have to reduce mod depth of both, otherwise you’d get a multiplying effect

makes sense now, thank you. someone else pointed out there’s a master velocity setting also, and i just didn’t see it because it was right in front of me :wink: