Fun way to make sounds - Image to Sound

this idea is to convert Image(such as .png .jpg) to sound in Various ways.
one way i can imagine is:
taking one pixel and converting it to pure sinewave the pitch will determined by color of the pixel and volume is determined by the pixel brightness(or alpha(maybe chooseable in settings?)). this has a slider option to whether takes just one pixel or takes bunch(how far pixel around is determined by slider) of pixels around the pixel and average it to convert to sound it’s like blur. you can set contrast, hue, brightness before importing image. and it also has option to how many sounds played together, if sound does not played together. it will convert to next frame in wavetable.
here is crappy representation for further explanation

2 Likes

Would be very cool! FL’s Harmor does this by converting images to black and white. The Y axis is frequency and the whiter the pixel, the louder that frequency is.

3 Likes

Is it avaliable in free version ?

Nice idea :smiley:

Hi ppl, hi Matt ; congrats on this great synth. Vital is really awesome

I’m currently working on a musical project where I am collaborating with visual artists to create new sounds.
I figured using wavelet transform algorithms is possibly the best way to create sounds from image, much like the algorithms used for AI and deep learning.

That could be a clever way to differentiate from Serum image to wavetable feature, and get more musical results.

Hit me up if you want more details :wink:

Oh how much I would like an image to wavetable function in Vital. I used this in UVI Falcon many times. For now, I use a website where you can convert a wave to an image and vice versa. But it would be really convenient if we could do this directly in Vital. :slight_smile: