Font is unpleasant to look at (there 15 Char)

The font is really a bit hard to read IMO, my eyes really hurt by looking at it no matter what scaling I put the synth at it always looks jagged, I hope something can be done about it :smile:

2 Likes

Same issue here. The font anti-aliasing seems to be off or not ideal for me too.

Screen grab:

System configuration:
Kernel: x86_64 Linux 5.16.14-1-MANJARO
EN: GNOME 41.4
WM: Mother
CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K @ 8x 4.2GHz [54.0°C]
GPU: AMD Radeon Pro WX 7100 Graphics (POLARIS10, DRM 3.44.0, 5.16.14-1-MANJARO, LLVM 13.0.1)
RAM: 8742MiB / 64193MiB
DAW: Bitwig Studio 4.2.2 (running plugins in individual sandbox mode in conjunction with the JACK driver model)
Audio engine: PipeWire 1:0.3.48-1
Audio interface: RME Fireface UFX
Display compositor: Wayland 1.20.0-1
Display resolution: 1920 x 1080 @ 60Hz (scaling is at 100%, font scaling factor is at 1.00)

Not every part of the UI seems to be affected equally though.

I think, design-wise, the font is really a big problem. It is a combination of instability, possibly aliasing and the mix of font size proportions.

What is better in this version: The font isn’t compressed on the filter names anymore.

What’s still problematic: The font is just not a good choice, or scaling doesn’t work reliably. The text elements look somewhat blurred (as if anti-aliased), but at the same time are highly unstable: Just open the preset manager, and you’ll see, depending on the size of the window on your screen, the line-width being uneven. Characters like the capital “I” (I) disappear, while others like the capital “O” have like tiny dots on the line. The upper line on an “E” almost disappears, the left and the bottom lines appear thicker than the rest etc.

Also, most of the elements have a similar, if not the same font size, but others are really tiny. Just look at the settings (advanced) and the oversampling settings, they are barely readable, or you need to have the GUI fill most of your screen.

The font could really use an overhaul. Someone told me that’s a problem coming from the graphics card, but I wonder why other GUIs (also vector-based) don’t give me this trouble, and why it happens on so many different systems I tried Vital on. A better font width (this one seems too thin) and professional kerning could help.

1 Like

Fullscreen: https://imgur.com/a/IjfgGcZ (make sure you open image in a new tab)

Yeah I agree with this thread. I really want to start using Vital but the one thing that’s stopping me that I can’t read it properly.

This screenshot is at 135% and you can see how hard it is to read compared to the tiny Ableton text next to it. 100% is worse. I’m using a 28" monitor, everything is already big, I can’t imagine what it would be like on a laptop.

Ideally I’d like to use Vital at 70% size. Vital has the BEST preset browser/description section it’s a shame I can’t read it well. Hope to see changes soon! :heart_eyes:

Resolution: 2560 x 1440
DAW: Ableton Live 11
GPU: GTX 1080 Ti (NVIDIA)

I also noticed that the fonts can be hard to read sometimes. Also, other part of the UI seem to suffer from aliasing, particularly around the knobs for instance (there seems to be a light gray line around them that wasn’t there in prior versions if I recall correctly). Here’s how it looks on my 1080p screen: