Crash on linux reaper

In ubuntu 20.04 installed linux zip file and pasted it in my vst folder. When scanned, reaper saw plugin, but i couldn’t see it in fx list. Even VSTi category was created, but it was empty. Tried download with deb. Now vital was listed, but when i tried to open it, my daw stopped responding.
I tried fedora, installed zip, but there was the same problem. I couldn’t install deb file, cuz it’s fedora. I converted it to rpm and tried to install but there was error. Reaper seems ok because afterwards i tried to download another vsti and it worked. Any ideas?

try right clicking on Vital in the FX browser and go to “run as” and choose “native only - prevent bridging” that seemed to help me.

1 Like

I do not know what your overall sound architecture is so I’ll have to speak broadly. Regardless, know that linux has limits it places on users and the processes they run. You go over and it kills whatever you are doing. This looks like the app dying
It is advisable to set up your /etc/security/limits.conf or /etc/security/limits.d/audio.conf/ file properly, for example:

@audio - rtprio 90 # maximum realtime priority
@audio - memlock unlimited # maximum locked-in-memory address space (KB)

Read more here:
https://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/system_configuration

Linux pro audio setup is not easy. If it were, every gimp making music on youtube wouldn’t dog it the way they do. But the payoff is huge.
I would say this. DO. NOT. INSTALL. PIPEWIRE. Send reaper straight to alsa.

i too can’t stand pipewire.
seems like a bunch of snake oil, nobody who raves about it seems to be able to explain what it really even does.

1 Like