Best way to import wavetables/ wav's?

When i want to import and create my own wavetables from .wav files, they usually sound not so good when “driving” with an lfo through them. I recorded some wavetables from my Waldorf Microwave 2 (slow lfo readings from start to finish) and they have distorted signals when switching frames and don’t sound smooth at all. Does it have something to do with the pitch or do i have to edit the wavetables in the editor? Should i record the sounds in lower octaves?

What are you importing? If you have a sample with a constant pitch try dragging it onto the waveform over the “pitch splice” option. Does that give better results?

1 Like

So first, thanks for the fast reply, i think that already helped me, it now sounds smooth when i drag the wav and select pitch splice.

I recorded a single note (i tried different octaves) of some wavetables from the Microwave, so yes steady pitch. I set the lfo to start at the first frame of the wavetable and slowly drive through till the end, and i recorded that in Ableton Live.

“Distorted” was the wrong word, more like choppy and edgy when switching frames with a lfo or by hand, creating smooth pads with those was a bit difficult. But the pitch splice option seems to work.

Is there a general rule when to use pitch splice or wavetable?

People say ‘phasey’ for this distortion I think because the phase of the waveform is jumping around a lot.

“Wavetable” import mode is for files that are already chopped into frames (like if you’re loading a wavtable from another synth)

The other two options are for creating a wavetable from a sample. If the sample has constant pitch you can use “Pitch Splice”. If it’s dynamic pitch you could try “Vocode”.

4 Likes