Asio support in standalone

Hey matt will it be possible to add the ability to choose asio drivers in the standalone version… For us windows peeps?

Without it the standalone doesn’t make sense for windows users :pleading_face:

17 Likes

+1 on ASIO in windows standalone version. Latency is way too high with directsound or windows audio.

6 Likes

+1 here too!

1 Like

Definitely needs to recognise ASIO in standalone mode, I use asio4all for the time being, that might change when I upgrade my computer to something with a bit more horsepower in the near future.

1 Like

Another plus one here too. Has this been responded to Yet?

1 Like

Ah hmm, that may be possible. Though I thought the newer WASAPI drivers were good enough nowadays. Is that not the case?

I’ll have to take a look at the library I’m using to connect to audio devices.

2 Likes

How do I find WASAPI? The only app where I fint that potion on my system is Audacity. In the standalone VITAL I can only chose “Windows Audio” or “DirecSound” and Both are long latency, even on the shortest setting.

Btw, thanks for a otherwise bangers synth :slight_smile:

1 Like

and also i cannot change the midi input and audio bit in standalone mode, it always revert back to default 44.1 and all midi input were ticked

ASIO is pretty much the standard for higher end VSTs. I would purchase this if it had ASIO support…of course I may still purchase it. The Text To WaveTable feature is pretty cool. -Andrew

1 Like

Hi there - Love Vital - but another vote for ASIO support on Windows.

Also being able to select a single input MIDI input channel in Stand Alone Mode, instead of Vital being locked into MIDI OMNI mode…

• I am using 3 analogue synths with Keystep Pro along with Vital on a laptop, controlled by a Keystep Pro (USB Midi > Laptop), and Vital is playing all 4 midi tracks being sent down the USB MIDI cable - which is a bit hectic… :slight_smile:
4 Likes

With ASIO you could have, say, Vital and VCV Rack running simultaneously, connected through jackd for Windows. Otherwise I’d agree, the new improved audio subsystem under win10 does away with most everything wrong with everything Windows Audio before it

https://jackaudio.org/faq/jack_on_windows.html

[Edit] Apparently the latest distribution of Jack (1.9.16, 2020-10-16) does not work anymore. There is a note in the changelog:

• Remove jack-router Windows code from the repository

… and JackRouter.dll is now nowhere to be found

I find the latency is still a problem unless I use ASIO drivers. When I was trying out Vital, once I got to some of the piano/key tones, I immediately noticed a latency issue, then got to wondering…where do I select the driver mode. I changed it to Windows Audio (low latency) which is better, but on my Win10 Alienware laptop computer, there is still more latency than when I Native Instruments or IK Multimedia with ASIO drivers. When playing pads or slower attach patches, you don’t notice but when I start trying to do keys or plucks, it is pretty noticeable.

I do like the graphic layout of Vital. I haven’t done much sound design before and I think the layout of Vital helps understand what is going on.

-Andrew V. Romero

4 Likes

Did you set your Audio buffer size appropriately? On this laptop with Conexant drivers, “Windows Audio (Low Latency Mode)” defaults to 448 @ 44.1k, which is weird and can’t be changed, while vanilla “Windows Audio” allows one to select buffersizes down to 132 samples (3.0 ms)

The same laptop after deleting Conexant and using Windows own drivers runs at 48k default with a latency down to 2.7ms in any mode

1 Like

Interesting that with low latency mode you can’t change the buffer size. I switched it back to Windows Audio and it did then let me change buffer sizes. It defaults to 10ms, but does allow me to change it down to 3ms. To me, it still feels like there is a noticeable delay when it is at 3ms. I know my Native Instruments ASIO setup is higher than 3ms…I want to say it is 6ms and I don’t notice a delay…so I am not sure the reported latency is correct. If I move it up a lot to 40ms, I can notice it gets worse, but when moving down under 10ms, it doesn’t seem like it is getting better than 10ms.

In further testing, just found that if I change it to Windows Audio (Exclusive Mode) and change the buffer size down to 224 (5.1ms)…it does actually feel like there is a lot less latency. I can’t go less than 224 or I start getting inconsistent playback. I will try the exclusive mode more and see if that consistency fixes the latency issues, however I did notice that it resets automatically to Windows Audio each time you start the application.

While Windows Exclusive Mode does seem to reduce the latency, I would still highly encourage the Vital team to look into ASIO support as that is really the standard for Windows based VST software.

-Andrew V. Romero

2 Likes

The WASAPI driver is good - depending on your Soundcard/Interface manufacturer… Some are still crap and some others as for example Focusrite Scarlett are great.

I have 2.5ms … that should be good enough :wink: ASIO is not faster, but also would appreciate the option.

Lack of ASIO support in the stand alone should be a deal breaker. There is no good reason for this. I paid for the “Pro” version and what I received works like a toy with the Windows drivers. I’d ask for a refund because this lack of a r4easonable driver should be mentioned UP FRONT! Sure, the ASIO works through the DAW when using as a VSTi, but I do my development work on the desktop. Either provide me ASIO support or please refund my purchase. I’d have sent this message to the “upgraded SUPPORT” I was supposed to have received, but I find no way to contact support directly. I am not very impressed!

Definitely needs ASIO support. I was astonished when I realised this was missing - as others have said, renders the standalone useless in Windows. Am shocked that this is still not happening after all this time. As others have said, i won’t be purchasing a paid version until this is done.

2 Likes

yes please! :100:

1 Like

This mirrors exactly what i experienced on behalf of the drivers.

I thought the newer WASAPI drivers were good enough nowadays. Is that not the case?

Definitely not the case, unfortunately. The only mode with a low latency is “WASAPI exclusive” and as the name suggests, it takes exclusive control of the audio card, so you can’t use any other app at the same time, which really sucks. ASIO doesn’t have this problem, at least not with most ASIO drivers out there.

So for Windows users a dedicated audio card with ASIO is still a must.

2 Likes