CPU Optimization for vital

Quick update. I was finally able to get my self a new laptop. A powerful one indeed and vital runs like a Lambo. Super fast and i can now even open some crazy cpu wrenching presets.

Thanks everyone for your feedbacks and suggestions on this thread. I really appreciate it

1 Like

First - thank you Matt for this really nice synth that helps newcomers a lot to start into the business of sound creation!

I cannot really say that Vital takes a whole lot CPU Power but nonetheless it is the only VST that gives me crackeling Sound if I try to play it live with some presets:

Ryzen 4500U, Fast SSD, 32GB RAM, Vital Analog Preset (feat. 7 unison, Reverb, Deley, Chorusā€¦)
DPC Latency around 200-400 ms
Presonus Studio 1810, 256 Samples Buffer Size (in/out Latency about 13 ms)
Windows 11 Pro, Reaper DAW

As soon as I go over 16 Voices I get dropouts on my audio interface - no other VST gave me that (mostly I Use UFI Workstation, Tyrell, sforzando). By reducing the Unison to 3 I can go up to 24 Voices but I would like to have 32ā€¦ Seems not possible even running Vital on Oversampling-Draft-Mode (1x).

CPU does look good though never reaching anywhere near 50 Percent.

So I am not quite sure what to optimize but as the problems scale with the voices the Synth is playing it must be some (CPU) optimization that would help - so I vouch for that

I donā€™t think thereā€™s that much to actually optimize if thereā€™s no apparent issue, like when comparing similar patches in Vital, Serum, Pigment, Phase Plant etc. would indicate that Vital has significantly worse performance.

But surely if something would get optimized Iā€™d be happy. Iā€™m just not betting on the effectiveness of discussing Vitalā€™s future here, or anywhere, given the nature of its development.

I have a fairly recent laptop with some ram and Vital still is a bit too hungry for it, I love it too much to leave it though.
What would help a little would be able to set the oversampling quality globally, not just on a per patch basis

Firstly, what a great thing, and Mr. Tyrell, I mean Mr. Tytel is just a bringer of smiles to many faces, listeners and producers alike.
I was wondering if Vital is as optimized as it could be for what it does; I am not experienced enough to know.
I have 1.5.5, so forgive me if this thread was only relevant to a fixed bug or so.
I do merely have an Intel Core i7-855OU CPU @ 1.80 GHz unfortunately, running Windows (unfortunately). 2018 laptop tech.
I installed 32 GB RAM, though.
It does surprise me how few presets will work with 32 GB and a little overclocking.
I guess I can see how I can still do a lot of cool stuff, and a lot of presets are trying to showcase a lot of stuff going on.
I will review 20 ways to optimize a windows laptop for music production.
But is there any possibility of it improving Vitalā€™s CPU optimization little at all, or was it optimized in the first place and itā€™s just reasonable for what itā€™s doing simultaneously?
I only want one instance and Iā€™ll freeze or bounce to DAW wav audio format.
Thanks for your consideration.
I chipped in to support for $25 or so, whether I needed the extras or not. I can see Iā€™ll get much more than my moneyā€™s worth even using a fraction of what it offers, and I can use it later with an alt machine dedicated w/Linux. Maybe even dedicated solely to Vital.

Something may be wrong with your system, software, settingsā€¦ Vital works fine for me with a desktop Core i5-12400F and 32 GB RAM, which are much more than enough.

For example playing the Cinema Bells preset, Vital consumes less than 2% RAM, and less than 50% of two CPU cores (less than 10% of the total CPU capacity).

Can you share the presets that are causing the issue on your machine?

Hello and thanks Adrien.
I am elated to say whatever was causing it got fixed on my pc. Maybe optimizing for background processes? I went through 20 bullet points of optimizing my pc for audio, DAWā€™s etc. and now Iā€™m yet to hear it glitch as I glide through presets!
Disrupt, for one, was glitching badly but itā€™s fine now.
Iā€™m so happy, thank you.

Alone disabling CPU scaling when using audio software may help a lot. Laptops may prioritize power savings over performance.

Sill thoughā€¦ Vital could do with quite a bit of CPU optimisation.

I donā€™t know. The very nature of Vital is legitimately CPU-hungry, with many wavetables being read, interpolated, altered in the time and frequency domain, at the same time, many envelopes and LFOs running, effects etc. I donā€™t know how competing synths such as Surge XT or Pigments fare in comparison.

Surge XT is very light on my CPU. Pigments howeverā€¦

Because Surge XT is not as clean as Vital and Pigments audio-wise. Its pitch modulation falls apart pretty fast. Still, a very cool synth though.

Using Surge is like solving a puzzle. Itā€™s amazing and they have worked hard on it but theyā€™ve inherited an unique kind of interface and theyā€™re kind of stuck with it. Iā€™ll keep trying it out though every now and again, hoping eventually I can click with it. But itā€™s kind of a big investment time-wise, because I canā€™t know if itā€™s going to ā€˜popā€™ and suddenly I feel like Iā€™ve mastered it. Vital on the other hand is super fast to learn, although modulating outside the mod matrix can get non-trivial when you drop little circles inside of other big circles, it triggers dyslexia. As for the development and bug-fixing goes, my sincere wish is that Matt can get all the resources human and otherwise that his heart comes to desire.

2 Likes

Depends. Have a look at Polyverseā€™s Filtron plugin. Itā€™s a filter, and only a filter, but a darn nice filter. Pop that into your track and enable the overdrive and itā€™ll use twice as much of your CPU time than one instance of Vital. And thatā€™s a frigginā€™ filter.